3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2003 cranks over but will not start

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
found a descent diesel tech from dodge. yea! basically told me i had good fuel pressure to common rail. from there he could only tell me that my injectors were only getting 1000psi instead of the 5 - 6000psi. he says 80% chance its the injectors. $400 he can tell me for sure and which ones if not all. thanks to this site and you guys i am going to save the 400 and replace them all. the codes i am getting, thanks to vzdude, have something to do with disrupted electrical circut. i figure, as well as the tech, that its from the old lp.
injectors will order on mon from piers diesel research for $460 and recieve a $160 core refund on each one upon return. best deal i can find, and they are in canada so i will recieve next day. have mech booked for wed. i am in a strange way happy. let you guys know how it works out.

thanks for the help and pointing me in the right direction
Old 08-25-2007, 08:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What I find even more odd, is that all of you that are having the same problem, are "new" to the site, At least with the number of posts you have....1, 15, 11, 32, 37, etc... You're all a bunch of newbie's, THAT's the problem
Old 08-26-2007, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by SSminnow
What I find even more odd, is that all of you that are having the same problem, are "new" to the site, At least with the number of posts you have....1, 15, 11, 32, 37, etc... You're all a bunch of newbie's, THAT's the problem
I got tired of feeling like I was alone in the universe with my no-start Dodge! Wish I had joined the website sooner! There is lots of good information here...
Old 08-26-2007, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by SSminnow
Ive been here since 02.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:41 PM

Yes newbie here but Ive been laying in the weeds for some time just watching my pray. Sometimes a gay has to read and watch before entering some sites, need to see if they are good enough to join.

A good tech can find anything. Just need to know more the tech that was on my truck has a DC Master diesel mechanic award for 26 years in his field. It also took him only 2 1/2 hours to test and make sure that it was the injectors. Service manager called me and told me how long my truck has idled and how many times i had long crank, and others. Good shops can print out or check everything you have done with your truck. So far i put on 500miles since friday and about 9 starts and my truck is doing great, Mileage went back up 1.5 since i had problems. I'll keep posting if i have problems.

Called DC they say they cant help with the issues from the first dealer and all the wasted money on parts i didnt need. I have to call the manager and talk to him. What really hurts is i use to be a tech there about 14 years ago when it was a Toyota dealership and he was there also.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SmokinDodge12V
Ive been here since 02.

I must have missed your post count
Old 08-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mopig
Sometimes a gay has to read.....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 08-26-2007, 10:12 PM

Rereading my post i had a typo GUY not the other Not to offend.

I just wish techs had all the training or the service manager just fess up and say they dont have anyone with the knowledge to fix it before they take your money.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:25 AM

I just wish techs had all the training or the service manager just fess up and say they dont have anyone with the knowledge to fix it before they take your money.

second that. had tech spend 5 hrs last year to finally say "it may have something to do with your transmission". wow. thanks so much, here is $500. took to tranny shop he he knew what the prob was in 2 mins of driving the **** thing.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Banned

I want to know why peopel think the injectors are the reason for a no start, if when the truck is running, it runs perfect. How can that be? If the injector is leaking down, it is going to leak when running, and run poorly, ALL the time. Please explain to me what (everyone that thinks injectors) is your explanation for it?
Old 08-27-2007, 03:07 PM

i thought that if the injectors were screwed that the truck would run aweful as well. but after reading a forum on here "2003 cranking but no start", it appears that 4 or 5 guys who have the no start problem, like cwoodall and i, and have changed out lp, like cwoodall and i, and have had many other tests and parts changes, the only cure has been new injectors.
i went to dealer on friday and diesel tech did a couple cheap tests and determined that i only have 1000psi at injectors and should have 5- 6000. he tested this up to some pump.(not lp). he figures that 80 % chance it is injector(s).
with the sucess that other 03s with starting issues have had changing injectors, i will save the $400 test to know for sure and just change them out. crossing my fingers really tight hoping that that is it.
i was told common rail was good
Old 08-27-2007, 05:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 3500eh
i thought that if the injectors were screwed that the truck would run aweful as well. but after reading a forum on here "2003 cranking but no start", it appears that 4 or 5 guys who have the no start problem, like cwoodall and i, and have changed out lp, like cwoodall and i, and have had many other tests and parts changes, the only cure has been new injectors.
i went to dealer on friday and diesel tech did a couple cheap tests and determined that i only have 1000psi at injectors and should have 5- 6000. he tested this up to some pump.(not lp). he figures that 80 % chance it is injector(s).
with the sucess that other 03s with starting issues have had changing injectors, i will save the $400 test to know for sure and just change them out. crossing my fingers really tight hoping that that is it.
i was told common rail was good

OK, but have you guys been changing them, or the dealer? Still sounds odd to me.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:20 PM

Believe me.....I'll be doing my own, heck my dealer charges me $$ just for calling them on the phone
Old 08-27-2007, 07:14 PM

The tech needs to cap off each and every injector one at a time and see if the truck will fire. The tech capped off #5 when mine didnt start and it fired in 3 sec of cranking. They told me that when the injector hangs up it still will flow fuel so you can run it down the road because of the pressure. They need to do a injector return flow test to see if they are bad. I had 95165 miles on mine so the dealer replace everything under warrenty. Its the 100000 emissions warrenty. Best part is I left my edge with att on it and he didnt even care. This shop installs TST and pressure boxes YES it is a 5 star dealer and the service manager wont void a warrenty on a truck with one. First thing he did is checked my VIN to see if they blocked it then told me bring it in then replaced it with the warrenty. Techs dont know everything thats why they go to school once a week.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:47 PM

mopig. you are just getting the one replaced? whats to say the others are not going to go right away. guess if thats all warranty will do, its better than nothing.
ssminnow. i tried to move posts that others had here so i did not have to write what they said. but cannot. seems like 3 or 4 guys are getting injectors replaced from dealer and a couple, like me, are stuck paying them selves.

Quick Reply: 2003 cranks over but will not start