3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2003 cranks over but will not start

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am having the same problem sometimes it will start sometimes it wont Ive done everything Ive run every flow and return flow test that I can and it passes all. Everytime I take a line off the high pressure side and reinstall it will start like new for a while then back to the same. If anyone get this figures out please let me know. Im just glad im not the only one with this problem Im going nuts trying to figure this out.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:43 PM

Welcome to the '03 Dodge No Start Club!!!
Old 08-19-2007, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by flyfisher123
Welcome to the '03 Dodge No Start Club!!!
Ya the bad thing is ive been having this problem for about 4 months just didnt know there where this many more. I work for a dealer but am not a certified tech so I have alot of resources but still cannot figure it out Chrylser will not allow you to change all 6 injectors at one time I have already replaced one that was a little noisy but no change, the worst part is it doesnt do it all the time and everytime I do a test it does good for a while then back to the same.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:10 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It's hard to imagine this starting problem is injectors because it seems it would mean that they all went bad at the same time. Otherwise the truck could start on 4 or 5 cylinders.

I wonder if opening up the fuel filter housing is letting in some air that is then going to the CP3 and having an affect that helps it start for a while? What other issue could affect all cylinders the same?

Stopping while driving and not re-starting or re-starting for a short time is the lift pump. Different problem than the general long crank problem.

John
Old 08-20-2007, 12:04 AM

Add me too, starts great when cold, won't start when @ operating temp. Had same problem earlier, changed out 3 bodies and put tips on. Doing the same thing again, time for the other 3 I guess and I'm going to do the high press. relief also. Pain in the ***, but then again the last three have 225000km on them.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:31 AM

Mine was starting pretty good after I had the lift pump and the injection pump replaced...For about a week it would start everytime (maybe still a little long of a cranktime)... but then after that week the cranktime got longer and longer...now it just will turn over and over and over, even after letting the LP run for 25sec. The only thing that gets it to fire is a little dose of ether (which I know is bad...but I don't havee anyother choice!) Changing the fuel filter helped for a day or two....
Old 08-20-2007, 10:45 AM

same problem as everyone else probably injectors.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine did the exact same thing as all of you are describing. At the beginning a new fuel filter solved the problems etc etc. New injectors from Industrial Injection solved the problem. Replaced all of them at once

I've yet to run a tank of ULSD through my truck so I doubt that was the issue!

Stock lift pump lasted about 4,000 miles with the new injectors and luckily I had a Glacier kit at the house waiting.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by leonesm
Mine did the exact same thing as all of you are describing. At the beginning a new fuel filter solved the problems etc etc. New injectors from Industrial Injection solved the problem. Replaced all of them at once

Stock lift pump lasted about 4,000 miles with the new injectors and luckily I had a Glacier kit at the house waiting.
Did you have any of the injectors tested? Some of the folks here are having all the same symptoms but when they have the injectors tested they seem to be ok...I think that you are the second person that has said that new injectors fixed the problem...there is light at the end of the tunnel! Now the question is why are all our injectors failing, and how do we keep it from happening again?
Old 08-20-2007, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by leonesm

Where are you getting non ULSD fuel I thought all pump stations where required to have it now.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did not have my injectors tested because the cost of two injectors from Dodge would have been more than a whole set of II units. It wasn't worth it to have the truck apart and only replace one to me when the others could go out at any time and I'd be out more than just replacing all of them.

I get my diesel from a Quik Trip truck stop about twice a week. The pumps in front with the gas pumps run ULSD but the ones in the back for the OTR tractors run LSD
Old 08-21-2007, 05:42 PM
RHC

I am curious about something here. I have 53,900 miles on mine. Runs and cranks good. Just curious if any one that is having cranking problems is using a fuel additive. I use a fuel additive almost every fill up. Going to start using it every fill up. After saying this mine may not start next time i try to crank it.
I use STANADYNE "Performance formula". Not that this really makes any difference, but i feel like it does.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:00 PM

One of the first things that I tried when my truck started cranking for a long time (before it stopped starting all together) was fuel additives. It didn't seem to make any difference as far as the starting issue goes. I am willing to bet though that adding it might help prevent any issues that may be caused by ULSD.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:30 PM

So this is just 03s then? no 04s? either the 600 or the smaller version?
Old 08-21-2007, 10:45 PM

I believe, a lot of you are having fuel lift/transfer pump problems from the way you all are describing the symptoms. Lets not confuse this lift pump with the engine mounted Injector pump (Cp3). If you follow everyones post, you will see that most of the problems went away after they replaced the stock lift/transfer pump with either a aftermarket or OEM in the fuel tank pump. In fact Leonesm stated he replaced his injector then had the pump go out. He then replace the stock lift pump with the Glacier Diesel unit, which I believe was the original problem.

If you are going to go through all the trouble to replace all the injectors with new or remanufactured ones for a few hundred bucks. And throw money at this problem. Then I suggest, you should try to replace the stock lift pump with an aftermarket pump either on the frame or in the tank. Replacing the pump should be around the 200-300 mark. You will notice, it is a lot cheaper than injectors.

Quick Reply: 2003 cranks over but will not start