3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

1st oil change, metal in the pan. anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st oil change, metal in the pan. anyone else?

changed my oil at 3k for the first time and found small bits of metal and some metal slivers in the oil. im hoping this is just from the motor being new and maybee had some left over metal from the machining process. didnt see any bearing material so at least thats a good thing. BTW drain pan was a brand new yellow plastic pan and was spotless before using. i was also very careful not to drop anything from the bottom of the truck into the new pan (dirt etc.) while working. after draining the oil from the truck i dumped the new drain pan into another container and thats when i noticed what looked like gritty spots in the bottom of the new drain pan. they were tiny pieces of meatal and even some larger size metal slivers. anyone else heard of anything like this? im going to check again next time and if i find anything else then im going to drop the oil pan and see exactly whats inside, hopefully no golden flakes.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
did you change thr filter? if so cut it open and look inside to see if there are metal particles.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:47 AM

Not normal take it in sure they will blow it off but make them put what you found under your VIN so down the road if a problem comes up you got it, run it for 500 miles pull sample send it in see whats going on. if there is a problem hold there feet to the fire. what ever you do leave it stock
Old 01-21-2007, 09:49 AM

one other thing they do have some high iron when new in the oil but I have never seen parts in the drain pan
Old 01-21-2007, 10:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Another good reason why the 1st oil change should be 1,500 miles.

I agree with Stang, but I'm calling it normal. I remember mine having shavings in it, and that was 210K miles ago. If you have metal in the next oil change 3,000 miles then you may have an issue. If not then you can extend the oil changes to 5-7K miles.

Like Stang said, and oil analysis may be good to establish a base line for your engine.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:18 AM

No shavings in mine at the first change. I'd drain it again in another 1000 miles or so and if there is still crap in the oil I'd get it to the dealer. If not then I would pour the oil back in and go about your business....
Old 01-21-2007, 10:14 PM

thanks guys. i did some sarching and found alot of other people have had the same thing happen w/ new engines. i myself have assembled dozens of gas inline 4 motors and i know how hard it is to get every last bit of leftover metal out of the block after machining and i cant imagine that any factory assemby plant would spend as much time cleaning their blocks by hand as i have. so for now im going to chalk it up to that, but i will change the oil again in another 3k and if there is much more than what i found this time or any bronze/gold colored shavings (bearing material) then the pan is coming off and im gonna see exactly what is left sitting in the bottom of it. on the positive side, i guess if some metal has gotten between any of the bearings and started to chew them up it shouldnt be too long before i start noticing a knock, although the CTD already has plenty of noises as it is.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:42 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Your probably OK but if the next oil change does have shavings in it I would NOT pull the pan. That would just give them a reason to say "you must be doing something to the engine, so we won't warranty it now"!! I would just show them what you found and explain it has happened two times now and you want them to check it out. I would also send a sample to Blackstone for an analysis to help back your claim. Receipts for oil and filters would be good to have as well.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:12 AM

the only reason i would drop the pan is because thats the only way your going to get everything out of it, just draining the oil isnt going to get everything off the bottom, im sure theres still some metal in it now. i have worked on several motors w/ rod knocks (bad bearings), draining the oil it looks ok but after taking off the pan you see where all the metal is sitting. but you are right, it would be best if i didnt go into it myself. alot of dealerships look for any reason not to warranty a problem. as far as the oil sample, i dont know if i completely agree with sampling oil or not. in this case they would probably tell me theres metal in the oil which i already know and the dealer isnt going to do anything until something happens anyway and as far as sampling in general, what if you get a sample back that says you have diesel or anything else in the oil? you go to the dealership and tell them what you found, they arent going to do anything about it until the truck is actually running badly and then its covered under warranty anyway. now w/o a warranty, oil sampling could possibly give you a heads up about a potential problem (headgasket/rings) to save your bearings but w/ guys running the same oil for 7-10k at a time (relying on sampling to tell them they can) its going to be too late to avoid damage anyway. for sampling to keep you from damaging your motor you would have to sample every few hundred miles. its best to keep an eye on your oil and it will tell you anything you need to know. just my opinion.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:16 AM

I agree with Rockcrawler. Pulling your pan will give them a reason to accuse you of modifying your engine and possibly void the warranty. It's an 06! Let the dealer pull the pan and clean the crap out of it.....
Old 01-22-2007, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could get a oil sample and send it to Blackstone labs. www.blackstone-labs.com. You could get a sample kit from them or put some oil in an empty water bottle ( about 1/2 full) and send it. There may be a place near you that could analize your oil. I pull a sample thru the oil dipstick, it cost about $20.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:32 PM

I agree with having a lab do an analysis of your oil and also cracking open your old oil filter. I too have built a few engines (big and small block chevys). I'd be a little more than concerned if I found metal shavings in my oil. I've never had shavings in my oil. Now I've seen some VERY, VERY fine metal breakin material stuck to the magnetic plug. More like microscopic grit. Shavings are freakin' scary and they shouldn't be there. JMHO...
Old 01-22-2007, 07:09 PM

Definately don't mess with the pan, you can't get it out with out lifting the engine anyway.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:38 PM

thanks for the help, i agree it would be best not to remove the pan due to the warranty. i will keep an eye on the oil and change it again in another 3k, if all is good i will then go to a 5k schedule as i always have in the past.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:08 AM

If I were you I would get an earth magnets and stick it to the bottom of the filter and the pan. Then maybe change you oil again in 1k and see what you find. Better yet have the dealer change it while watch.