3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

07 diesel and remote start??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I am about to do my 07 and I will spend the extra $$$$ and get the factory system"
CUMMINSBILL,
Do you have the 07 5.9 starting system? or are you waiting like the rest of us?

Boris
Old 12-08-2007, 12:00 PM

Anyone try compustar
Old 12-08-2007, 12:12 PM

I have the Compustar and i really like it! I do not know the model of it but its whatever the top one is and i like all the different options you have! I had some issues with my remote start but they fixed it since they said something was wrong with the wires. I had a viper alarm on another truck and this alarm is a hole lot better than that! I would defanitely recommend this alarm!
Old 12-08-2007, 09:27 PM

The bypassing the sentry key is only activated with the remote start. With out activating the remote starter your sentry system is intact. If you have a system that requires a key you just have to put it up under the dash where it can't easily be found. There are easier ways to steal these trucks then to hunt around to try and find a key that may or may not be there.

My dads has a sentry key which I think all 06 & up dodges do but he does not have the factory alarm.

I am going to order the factory set up from here-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...spagenameZWDVW

or here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA:IT&ih=024

or from my dealer if its in stock

I have a sentry key but no alarm so I don't anticipate any problems.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:34 PM

compustar all the way never had problems, make sure its connected to tach sensing and not alt sensing, when the truck is warming and the voltage changes causes problems
Old 12-17-2007, 11:11 PM

As for the truck not starting when cold out, they probably missed the 180ohm to ground on the starter wire. That is required for the cold starts. If they used a bypasskit.com, it's already included.
The 06 and 07 Rams use a CHDL7PK2 to bypass the transponder key as well as the other security issues to allow r/s. The differnce being that on the 07 you need to put a 1kohm resistor between the pink/white 2nd starter/mux wire and ground. Without it, truck won't crank.
I've done dozens of Dodge trucks without problems. Actually if it wasn't for the wonky way of programming the key transponder, they would be my fav/easiest truck to do.
With regards to the bypass kit and thieves, let's face it. If they really want your truck, they WILL get it. The real car thieves will get anything, alarmed including. The petty ones are too stupid.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:01 AM

Heres what I did!
I went and bought a third key but didnt cut it.
I then installed a 2 way viper system and got the little box to put the key into.
Dodge tells you how to program a third key by putting in key #1 then ign cycle, then key#2 ign cycle and then your new key and ign cycle and wait for chime.
I did that except on the third part with the new key I just held it close to the ign tumbler while turning the ign on and off with the remote starter instead.
The truck accepted the new key code but off course the new key is no good to anyone who finds it because its not cut.
Thats the key in the box now and works like a charm!
Old 12-18-2007, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Red-Goat
Heres what I did!
I went and bought a third key but didnt cut it.
I then installed a 2 way viper system and got the little box to put the key into.
Dodge tells you how to program a third key by putting in key #1 then ign cycle, then key#2 ign cycle and then your new key and ign cycle and wait for chime.
I did that except on the third part with the new key I just held it close to the ign tumbler while turning the ign on and off with the remote starter instead.
The truck accepted the new key code but off course the new key is no good to anyone who finds it because its not cut.
Thats the key in the box now and works like a charm!
So what you have done is enabled your truck to be started by tried and tested ways----pull tumbler and hot wire because you have given someone the electronic key to your truck .

I hope you have an alarm because now a screw driver will start your truck once someone is inside.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:16 AM

The truck wont recognise the key in the box unless the remote start supplies power to the box which then samples the key and then sends a signal up the the tumbler transponder.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:13 AM

I assume you guys are doing this for the benifit of cooling to cab in the summer because I can't see any reason to remote start the truck in the winter considering it would have to idle for an hour to get any heat out of the vents.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:00 AM

worring about somebody stealing your truck is uneeded stress, get insurance and forget about like stated before if they want it its gone youll do nothing to stop it guarranteed!
Old 12-26-2007, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by mikelr
I assume you guys are doing this for the benifit of cooling to cab in the summer because I can't see any reason to remote start the truck in the winter considering it would have to idle for an hour to get any heat out of the vents.
Trust me, when it's -45° out, you still won't have heat even after an hour of idling. BUT, even after 10 or 15 minutes, your engine is already beginning to get warm. Big difference from that to a cold start (even with it plugged in) and trying to drive off. Remote start just save you having to bundle up to go start the truck, then come back in for a few minutes, then get bundled up all over again later.

I just put a factory remote start on mine, and now I wish I'd spent the extra bucks for diesel fired engine/cab heater instead. That puppy heats the engine up to 175° and at that temperature, you WOULD have cab heat, and be able to drive off right away. And, you have the added benefit of still being able to start it if there's no power available for the block heater.

I'll likely wind up putting one on as well.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:47 AM

Stickler,

What year is your truck?
Where do you live? -45*

Boris