2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Where do I get a replacement trailer wiring harness... thingy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 03:30 PM
DTR question asker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do I get a replacement trailer wiring harness... thingy?

Hopefully someone here can help me out:

After one of my (many) encounters with stationary objects with my truck while in the reverse gear, I smacked the little box that surrounds the 7(?)-ping connect that a trailer plugs into. It warped the connector and I disconnected it from the 2 plugs under the bed of the truck and tossed it.

We are going to pick up a horse trailer this week and I would obviously like to have lights and brakes.

So this is sort of like the piece that I need:

But on the end of the wires I need the 2 connectors to hook up to the wiring on the truck - one connector is rectangular and the other makes an "oval" shape.

Any idea what this part is called/where I can get one? Advance and Auto zone barely understood what I was asking for, let alone had anything that looked like it would work in stock. Is there a factory replacement I can get for a decent price, and if so, where would that be?

Thanks!

Dennis
Old 05-13-2008, 03:39 PM

i would buy just the plug in and then wire it into the trucks wiring where you disconnected the old one
Old 05-13-2008, 03:45 PM

Look for a RV supply / service or a welding / trailer hitch shop .
You need to get any brand name & numbers off the trailer end , to match up , other wise you would need to change both the [ most pro shops call most anything that connects like a plug on one end & like a light socket on other end , a pig tail ] , but your picture is showing a adapter , to go between 2 different kinds off plugs .
If you have a camera , take a picture of the trailer end , with the brand & any numbers , and one of those shops should be able to fix you up .
The adapters are for towing multiple trailers that have different plugs .
Old 05-13-2008, 04:23 PM

Look at "Hoppy" wiring products:

Look around on this webpage: http://www.trailerwiring.com/

They make a simple t-type connector that does require any cutting or splicing of wires but it only gives you a simple 4 prong flat type plug. From there you could get an adapter to adapt to whatever wiring the trailer has.

Or, you can get one of their splice kits and splice in a new 6/7 prong plug and mount that to your hitch.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:42 PM

I installed one of these from PPL motorhomes - made by Pollak. This thing is NICE! Very sturdy, very well made, pre-siliconed, pre-labeled, very easy to wire in.

You'll need 56-1468, 56-1469, 56-1467 for a complete install.

The harness plugs and locks into the back of the 7 pin side (4 pin side is hardwired internal to the combo unit). The other end of the harness has 7 wires you plug into your regular wires. Note, it's not plug and play. The other harness they have is, if you have the tow package (most trucks will mate.)

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...ay-adapter.htm

Old 05-13-2008, 06:57 PM

WAL~MART has them and they just PLUG IN and screw on ! good to go
Old 05-13-2008, 09:12 PM

OK this just happen to me. when I bought my last truck it had a utility bed on it and they removed the trailer wiring plug and wiring harness. the wiring harness is a dealer item but the 7 pin rv connector is available at any auto parts store. mine is a 97 model and the dealer said it was the only year that would fit. another option is to wire the plug up and solider the other wire end up to the truck wiring. hope this helps.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:48 AM

If that was the factory trailer harness, you are out of luck. You will have to buy the whole harness from fuse block to bumper from the dealer. They dont just sell the last few feet with plugs. I just went thru this since mine was shot also And i installed a flat bed. I ended up getting a 7 pin RV plug from Napa and spliced in new wires to the plug. THe whole wiring harness was over $100, so its up to you.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:06 AM
Chapter President

Try Autozone
Old 05-14-2008, 11:17 AM

Some lady rearended my truck last Fall and crushed the metal housing and the whole plug thingy. You may have more damaged than I did, but the main hookup plastic housing comes loose from the small rectangular piece that the truck's wires go into. I bought a factory Dodge replacement for the big plug with the cap cover and all on E-bay for $20. It snapped right in after I bent the metal housing out enough to get it all back behind it. If your entire thing (rectangular plug and all) were crushed and you're left with bare wires, you're in worse shape than I was.

The main plug is available as an original seperate piece for not much money. Hope this helps.

I added the links below after I found them. The "plug only" will not include the small rectangular end piece that the wires from the truck harness are ran into.

Plug Only

Plug and entire harness

Last edited by JLand; 05-14-2008 at 11:26 AM. Reason: added links