2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

trying to replace seat belt

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 01:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
trying to replace seat belt

Frayed seat belt wont pass inspection. I removed the old unit and it is wound up and wont unwind. If I grab one from the junk yard and have it out and wound up I wont be able to install due to being to short. whats up? The manual talks about a wire but mine has no wires attached to it. How to get it or the replacement one to unlock?
Old 01-31-2012, 04:48 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Usually there is a small anti back spin arm in the housing that looks like a parking pawl in an auto trans. You should be able to lift/clean it and let the spring tension off.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just finished changing out seat belts in my 01 QC today as part of a seat replacement and had to release the inertial reel when I let it retract to far. To replace the belt on the reel the reel will have to come out of the seat (I am assuming you are working on one with the seatbelt in the seats, if not then I dont know what I'm talking about) To remove the reel you need to skin the seat, remove a plastic piece, two torx head bolts and it lifts out of the seat frame as a unit. take the anchor end free of theseat base and thread it through the upholstery and it's out. To release the reel you take off a plastic cover with two or three clasps that hold it on. Once removed there is a ratcheting catch with a small plastic pawl that you need to gently lift away from the racheting wheel to allow for it to spin freely. Not sure how you would go about replaing the belt on the reel once you get there, probably be easier to get the whole assembly and swap it out than to try and change belts on the existing assembly. If yours is one of the earlier ones with the seat belt control module and the solenoid operated belts I can make you a great deal on the seat belts.....