2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Throttle Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle Position Sensor

My throttle position sensor "appears" to have failed after 117,000 miles. The computer code indicates that it has failed or is failing. The truck acts like it is not getting fuel. When I pump the throttle (accelerator) it will pick up and go again. It got so bad I barely got it into the dealer.

The part is about $800 and on order. This comes right after the fuel injector pump had to be replaced at 95,000 miles. What else can I expect to fail on this beast? Maybe as I travel I could pick up some used parts in anticipation.

I am serious. I would appreciate any comments on what failures I am looking at with this truck with this mileage.

Thanks.

Tim
Old 10-29-2003, 01:46 PM

Re:Throttle Position Sensor

Wow, $800 bucks for a TPS??? There has to be more to it than that. Im not sure about a 24 valve but a 12 valve TPS is about $100 give or take. It depends on where you buy it.

I hope other 24 valvers will chime in, not sure if the tps can be cleaned on a 24 valve but 12 valver tps' can be cleaned with favorable results.

As far as your injection pump goes, did they pressure/flow test your lift pump??? Often times the injection pump fails due to low pressure or "starving" from the lift pump. This is really critical for 24 valvers. The lift pump is about a $150 item. If you do not have a pressure gauge installed, you should get one ASAP. It is a cheap ($50 bucks) investment that can save your $1200 dollar injection pump. A pressure gauge is considered a necessity for 24 valvers. It will save you big bucks in the long run.

Give us more info as to what the dealer fed you! I hope I am wrong, but that seems like your being ripped. Is it to late to take to another dealer??

Would really like to help you out on this one, do a search on "lift pump" and "TPS" in the 24 valve forum and you will become instantly educated. Hope this helps, and I really hope your dealer is not hosing you, Kevin
Old 10-29-2003, 01:48 PM

The more I think about it, could it be your lift pump that failed?? Kevin
Old 10-29-2003, 06:41 PM

I had a buddy get me a price from a place in the US and the dealer cost on the APPS was 417 bucks if I remember correctly. It is very easy to change so If you can swing it why not replace it yourself or find a dealer who will give you a bit of a break on the price.

I have to agree that even at 417.00 the price is pretty crazy but I have noticed that with dodge parts. I can go to the ford dealer and get things alot cheaper than i can from the dodge dealer.

Jason

Old 10-29-2003, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Am I to assume this is a DC part that you can only get at a dealership? Is there no chance that someone else may carry it like Cummins or another aftermarket company?
I guess this is one of the drawbacks to an electronically controlled engine! :-
Old 10-30-2003, 02:40 AM

I bought a TPS unit this week from the local Dodge house for a lot less than $400. Check your pricing and do some shopping around. The $800 you mentioned is way too much, even if they are gouging you for labor.

Joe
Old 10-31-2003, 10:50 AM

Don't know if your brave enough to try this but so far I've only bought one TPS and that's enough for me. The second time it started to mess up I took it off and flushed it out with WD40 and it worked longer than the new one. So from that point on when it starts to mess up I don't even take it off I just spray, and give it a good dose of WD40 down where the linkage goes in to the TPS and so far it always does the trick.

And so far I get about 6 months to a squirt................

Robert