1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

throttle position sensor$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
throttle position sensor$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I am wondering if anyone has ever found out what happens to the throttle position sensor to have it mal function? Mine is begining to mal shift into and out of overdrive again. I replaced it about a year and half ago and its acting up again. Where can they be bought for any kind of a fair price. It seem that a two inch square piece of plastic and a few wires should not have such an inflated (robbery) price. I don't know what the dealer would charge but discount auto and napa both want over $200.00 and napa says thay have a $5.00 core charge????? Is it rebuildable???? I think I will have to take the old one apart to find out what makes it tick??? If anyone has any tricks on this please let me know........ Thank you

Have fun
buckshot 8)
Old 11-23-2003, 03:14 PM

Re:throttle position sensor$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Don't buy one from Napa. Cummins has them but i don't have the part number with me. I'm sure someone will jump in and tell you the number or Bushy will tell you what to do with your TPS. From what i remember though the cummins TPS is considerably cheaper than the dealership.

Chris
Old 11-23-2003, 10:48 PM

Cummins Part # 3621094. Last I heard, they ran under $150.

Before buying another, make sure that yours doesn't just need an adjustment. Easy adjustment with a 10mm wrench.

Carl
Old 11-24-2003, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM Dave (HDM48) he has had them apart and I believe he's been able to make them work again - worth a try.

Bob
Old 11-24-2003, 07:24 PM

Bob,
How do I go about getting in touch with PM Dave? ??? I have never tried to contact any one except by this means. I would like to see what there is to taking the Throttle Position Sen apart and what there is to a repair. Is there an e mail address for PM Dave? Please advise. thank you.
Have fun
Buckshot 8)

P.S. Thanks ya'll for the helping hand
Old 11-24-2003, 11:17 PM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Hey buckshot...

The initials PM mean Private Mail or Private Message.
hdm48 is Dave, a good guy but he has HP envy so watch it with him...
The TPS is a headache to us guys... darn things have a mind of there own...
Normally they can be adjusted quite easily. Please do a search for things like "tps adjustments" tps adjusting" etc.. I have a complete post on here regarding this very topic. In the mean time try to hook up with hdm48 and see if he's up to the task of help you out with a re & re of you tps if adjustments fail.

bob.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:19 AM
GD

I had the same problems with my TPS. It was replaced several times under warranty but never lasted very long before the wierd shifting problems came back. I finally disconnected it. Now the truck always goes into overdrive at around 45-50mph. Thats okay for normal driving but sometimes when I have a load I will have to take it out of overdrive until I get some speed going. Disconnecting it may be an option for some people if it is to expensive to replace.

GD
Old 11-25-2003, 08:22 PM

Take it apart and clean with contact cleaner and put back together. Be sure and put some dielectric grease in the cup (?) where the pin rides before putting back together. Clean connector put some dielectric grease in the connector and adjust the voltage. You should be set to go. I did this about 60K ago and the TPS is still working fine. Give it a shot, it's worth a try.

Jim
Old 11-25-2003, 09:15 PM

Ok, Buckshot did get ahold of me and I gave him the trick of servicing the TPS. Now I need to let you guys know that one should use "electrical switch lubricant" in the guts to keep it alive. Dielectric grease is not enough.
Inside the TPS you have the "fan" contacts that rub against the resistor film. This film can and will come loose from the wall of the TPS housing. You must make sure it is still attached or your work will be in vain.
Take a VERY GOOD LOOK at it, make notes, draw pictures, whatever it takes to memorize how and where this film is attached in the housing. Then go ahead and clean it. If the film comes loose, you can re-attach it using a contact glue. But it MUST be in it's exact location.
OK?
ok

Dave
Old 11-26-2003, 04:42 AM

I found that after cutting that canon plug off and soldering some 3-4in. of fine braided wire in between the factory wiring and the TPS the problems went away. Vibration of the engine is creating a intermitent conection, also a film of corrosion between the contacts will cause a inermitent connection. To prove my point if you unplug the unit and plug it back in you'll find that it temperairly fixes the problem.

ramguy
Old 12-25-2003, 07:41 PM

it's probably not your tps. probably noise in the harness. you need to rewire your tps. let me know if you need help.

scott
gpcinc@yahoo.com
Old 12-26-2003, 07:43 PM

Maybe Howard that did such a good job on the cool down timers can provide us with a fix for this problem????? HOW ABOUT IT HOWARD any suggestions
Old 12-26-2003, 08:13 PM

like i said,

i have a fix for the tps problem but i can't advertise it here....

scott.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:36 PM

My OD was shifting now and then also. I unplugged my Auto Temp Sensor that is in front of the Tranny on one of the tranny lines and cleaned that up. Plugged back in and it has helped greatly. I also checked the voltage at the TPS (Middle wire). 1 volt or so at idle (motor off) and then it should jump about 2.75 or so at WOT. Adjust with 10 mm wrench if need be. I also bought a TPS Noise Filter but was told that they mostly help the 94 on up trucks much more then our 1st gen trucks. Haven't installed yet but still plan to as it will not hurt it to keep the noise of the harness away from the TPS. DTT is where I got my filter from.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:24 PM

i installed a filter from dtt. didn't help. rewired the tps. fixed the problem. it's noise in the harness.........

scott.