24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How to Clean Throttle Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Clean Throttle Position Sensor

Hey guys, my throttle position sensor has been acting up lately. I think I read on this forum some time back that you don't replace them, you just clean them. So, my question is can I do this myself, and if so, how do you clean it?<br><br>All responses appreciated.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:18 PM

Re:How to Clean Throttle Position Sensor

You don't have a TPS. You have an APPS. Accelator Pedal Position Sensor. The Throttle Position Sensor was on the 12 Valve Engines. I'm assuming you are talking about your truck, right? If so, no, you can't clean the APPS, at least in the sense that it is a serviceable unit. The sides of the unit have to be drilled apart (like rivets) and you would have to glue the unit back together when you finished. I've heard of guys attempting to spray contact cleaner into the unit but don't know that that is possible. Under 100K miles? It should be under warranty.
Old 11-28-2002, 03:33 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

Tishmael: Did you recalibrate the APPS ? It's just disconnecting both neg. Battery cables for 30 mins, then connect them again. Turn the key to on position ( don't start) and depress the accelerator slowly and then lt off slowly. Start the truck . That should do it. <br>HTH<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 11-28-2002, 06:43 PM

what does this sensor do and how do you tell it is not working correctly?
Old 11-28-2002, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=boughtadodge link=board=4;threadid=7532;start=0#73504 date=1038530590]
what does this sensor do and how do you tell it is not working correctly?
[/quote]
On the newer computer controlled 24 valve engines, there isn't a direct connection between the &quot;gas&quot; pedal and the &quot;throttle&quot; as it were.
It is a &quot;fly by wire&quot; system, the APPS senses the position of the &quot;go pedal&quot; relays this to the computer and the computer tells the injector pump to add more fuel.
The computer also used the pedal position to regulate shifting in the auto tranny's.

If it isn't working right, you'll have sluggish acceleration,
&quot;hunting&quot; shifting in the transmission, low power, etc.

phox

Old 11-28-2002, 07:21 PM

sorry I was not specific on mine I have a 12 valve and it has soom of the tranny symptoms you describe does it control the tranny on the 12 valve also? Does it do any thing else on the 12 valve thanks for the info Matt
Old 11-28-2002, 08:57 PM

On the 12 valves the TPS mostly controls the 3rd &amp; 4th gear up and down shifts along with rpm.
Old 11-28-2002, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=boughtadodge link=board=4;threadid=7532;start=0#73513 date=1038532896]
sorry I was not specific on mine I have a 12 valve and it has soom of the tranny symptoms you describe does it control the tranny on the 12 valve also? Does it do any thing else on the 12 valve thanks for the info Matt
[/quote]

I beleive it does.
On your's it is the TPS and it's mechanical so I'm not sure on the calibration procedure.
There's also something called a TV(?) cable that has something to do with the transmission as well.

You might post in the 12 valve forum, or a moderator can move this there for you.

phox
Old 11-28-2002, 09:07 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

[quote author=boughtadodge link=board=4;threadid=7532;start=0#73504 date=1038530590]<br>what does this sensor do and how do you tell it is not working correctly?<br>[/quote]<br> This should help answer your questions, follow this link to our Faq section.<br>https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...p;onlynewfaq=1
Old 12-02-2002, 06:38 AM

What my truck is doing: I'll be driving along, sometimes in a high gear, sometimes in a low gear, and the engine will drop to idle and the accelerator pedal doesn't work. The first couple of times it did this I pulled over, but now I've learned that if I pump the pedal a few times it will come back. Then the engine light comes on (if I've started it four times, if not the engine light is on all the time). It's doing it almost every time I drive it now. I've taken it to the dealer twice and they tell me they cleaned the TPS. It works for a week or two, then it starts acting up again. So, are they just spraying cleaner in there? The truck has 85,000 miles, so it is under warranty. Should I tell them I want it replaced?
Old 12-02-2002, 07:22 AM

tishmael:<br>If there's a light there is a code. If you can get the code it could help to determine in which circuit the fault is to be found. <br>It could be the cable from the APPS to the ECM. <br>The APPS unit is sealed and can not be serviced ( says the repair manual) <br>Since the condition is erratic and the truck idles I assume that it isn't in the fuel supply. I'd suggest to check the codes, clean the contacts between the APPS and the ECM, then the contacts at the PCM. <br>HTH<br>AlpineRAM
Old 12-02-2002, 09:08 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Go to a Different Dealer!. If they are cleaning the TPS in your 24v Cummins they have no idea what they are doing. It doesn't have a TPS. So how can they clean it? see a pattern here?<br><br> Unfortunately many Dealerships have no idea what to do with these CTD's. You have to find one that does or do it yourself. Good Luck!
Old 12-02-2002, 12:16 PM

Thanks guys.<br><br>I'm going to call some other dealers and try to find one that knows a little more about CTD's. A guy I work with suggested putting electrical contact grease on the APPS plug, so I may try that first. Does that sound like a good place to start?
Old 12-02-2002, 12:39 PM

tishmael- contact cleaner and contact grease (suitable for sealed electrical plugs) is some very good place to start- you can't do anything wrong if you apply these to any connector you can reach. Sometimes you'll find that this cures problems that have been a pia a very long time. Alsi, when you go and test for let's say sensor troubles you can rule ou that it is just a faulty connector. <br>Good luck<br><br>AlpineRAM