2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Seat Foam

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mkubacak
I would find another shop. A good shop should be able to fix this without a $245.00 piece of foam.

I agree.
I had mine done before xmas and love it.
They had to replace the strip of material allong the side of the seat base,
Put in all new foam ( thicker & better quality)
Replace all the seat box springs and install webbing and a burlap cover to protect the foam.
I dropped the truck off in the Am and picked it up later that night and that cost $250can. all I can say is what a differance. It was some of the best money I ever spent. You need a good upholstery shop though, go arround to the different ones in your area and ask to see some of their work.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have found that there are two problems in the lower seat foam design. 1. Seat foam actually is being cut by wires under the foam and 2. the outside edge of the foam is deterierating and not as "supportive" as it should be.
The fix for problem 1 is fairly simple. Just remove the 4 bolts that hold the seat cushion to the seat frame and remove cushion from truck. Then pry away black hooks holding fabric on. You will then be able to seperate the foam from the cushion frame. You will need to put some sort of material on top of the wires so that they won't be able to cut through anymore. I used a thin plastic folder that I had laying around. If I were you I would just find something that would not be cut easily (carpet, plastic folder, etc.). Then assemble just opposite of the above.
The problem I had with my truck is the side was not as supportive as it use to be and I was actually leaning to toward the window slightly. I took the cushion apart as described above and added 1" of cut to shape foam from walmart to the side that wasn't supportive. To do this you just need to pull the fabric off of the foam (don't have to pull fabric off, just enough to put on new foam) and using spray adheasive, I glued the new 1" cut foam piece to the seat. I assembled just opposite of above. This has helped alot. I am no longer leaning and the seat feels much more like it is suppose to, "supportive".
Old 02-16-2005, 11:56 PM

Thats what junk yards are made for. the passenger side is always in good condition.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Thats what junk yards are made for. the passenger side is always in good condition.
Having not messed with my seat yet (though it NEEDS IT), wouldn't the lever be on the wrong side for the seatback recline?

Though, I'm kinda stuck, don't want to lose the power adjustments...
Old 02-17-2005, 07:18 AM

You can actually switch just the cushion of the seats. It is held on to the seat frame, by 4 bolts.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:51 AM

Gotcha!!

Too bad the seat back is shot too... the lumbar support feels like a solid piece of steel when it's extended.. but the bottom cushion thing is good to know!
Old 02-20-2005, 07:46 PM

Just stuffed my seat with the carpet pad as one of yall mentioned before. Man what a difference it made, I placed it below the seat's foam and some just on the left side right below the fabric. I bought the carpet pad from Home Depot for 33 cents a foot (very cheap).

Thanks again for the ideas.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:20 PM

i think i blew a head gasket this weekend oil all over everywhere. guess i will wait on the seat repair for a little while
Old 02-21-2005, 03:25 PM

Left it at Cummins dealer today after the Dodge area rep who was at my local Dodge dealer said they would not help me out with it. I know the warrenty on a new engine they replaced was 12 month 12000 miles ( i have 24000 on it ), but have a bad taste in my mouth because of thier lack of customer relations.
my extended warrenty company has paid chrsyler in excess of 16000 in repairs on this truck in the past two years and now that the warrenty is gone they aren't nearly as accomadating.
The Cummuns folks had a hard time beleiving they would not warrent it, says he thinks the problem is going to end up being is the head was not torqued properly, will know for sure in a day or two. Chrysler dealer tried to tell me they put in a short block and that the short blocks come with the heads already on them. I told him I did not think so, but he mainted they do.
when i told the Cummins service guy that he rolled his eyes and said they really should let Cummins do their repair on these engines,
Said they have redone several that had been done by Dodge that a dowel pin in the front of the head had slipped out and fell into gear box and broke gear box cases to a tune of about 2400 dollars
Old 02-22-2005, 12:08 AM

A short block does not include the head or pan, and probably not the front cover, etc.

A long block includes the head, pan, front cover, side cover.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:21 PM

did the seat repair before last weeks trip to missouri. 30 minute job cost 3.50 . removed 4 bolts lifted up cushion --removed J channel holding seat cover to frame--- layed peice of carpet felt on top of springs and a 2" piece of firm foam on top of it--- reinstalled cushion cover----better than when new !!
Old 05-21-2005, 09:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I put a new 2" extra firm foam under the existing cushion. It is too high. use a 1" xtra firm piece, or a 2" firm piece. I have my power seat all the way down, and it is still too high.
Mike
Old 05-26-2005, 10:55 AM

Does anyone know where to get stock seat covers? My seats have a rip in them and I hate the Walmart yucko seat covers.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Go to Marathon seat covers .
I bought my complete seat covers there. I'm sure they'll send you just the bottom part.
Mike