3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

I couldn't take it, so I took my driver's seat apart and added foam.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I couldn't take it, so I took my driver's seat apart and added foam.

I couldn't take it anymore. The driver's seat is a pain in the rear. I could feel a bar that I was seating on and I got a pain in the left kidney. SO, I took out the driver's seat, took it apart, and added some foam to the bottom and the back. An initial 40-mile test was heaven. I leaving Wed am on a 5000 mile trip, so I find out then if I'm still blessed.

(I took a few pics, so if someone can tell me how to upload them, I will.)

Took me a little over an hour to take out the seats, add the foam, and reinstall. Each seat leg attaches to the seat rail with 4 bolts. On the seat bottom, you will remove two metal plates (front and rear) to get at the fabric that you need to unhook. All of the fabric attaches somewhere to the metal with long plastic clips. Carefully (with your fingers or screwdriver), peel over the clips. The fabric will be loose and you can insert foam.

The seats are cheap. I’ve taken apart seats in Toyota and the entire bottom was sculpted metal that fit your rump. The Dodge seat bottom has an outside metal frame with wires that connect the front and back. The bottom and seat back foam are molded high density foam (doesn't give much.) Where the foam crosses the bottom metal bar, the foam is very thin and easy to compress. No wonder I could feel that bar. I added a 1” thick foam pad to the seat back and to the bottom. Hopefully, this will solve my rear end issue!
Old 08-28-2005, 02:34 AM

Sounds nice! Upload the pics to your gallery!
Old 08-28-2005, 05:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's cool. There have been a few complaints about the seats so maybe this will help some others solve their problem.

To upload photos, go to one of your threads and click on "Member's Photo Gallery" and from there click on "Upload Photos". They need to be approved by someone running the board before they are available for viewing.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:26 PM

My problem was the right side of the seat pushed against my right hip and put my leg and foot to sleep. I unhooked the seat cover from the back and fed two 10x10" pieces of scap carpet (one on top of the other) between the foam and the spring. It worked like a charm, only took about an hour and did didn't cost a dime. It elevated the center cushion enough there is no more pressure on my hip. You could never tell it's been "modded." I did this yesterday and took the truck on a 275 mile trip today with no pain or sleepy toes.