3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Seat foam is SHOT. I can feel the metal, foam is split.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat foam is SHOT. I can feel the metal, foam is split.

I heard that the previous owner was a pretty hefty guy. Apparently he destroyed the seat foam. I was told by the dealer who received the truck that part of the seat frame was replaced.

Can I buy replacement foam? The more I drive this truck, the more I realize how uncomfortable it is. I can actually feel the split in the foam and the metal poking up through along my left thigh.

SLT. Non-heated, non-power.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:26 PM

Should have searched first...Apparently this is a very very very common problem. **** Dodge/Chrysler. It's obviously an issue, they should fix this themselves.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...highlight=seat
Old 04-18-2010, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah. My truck is laid up right now with the seat at an upolstery shop waiting to have a new factory foam piece and lower cover put on the bottom and a new panel sewn in the upper cover. Same problem. I don't know how big the dude was that owned it before me. I'm hoping pretty big because the truck only has 60,000 miles on it.

Don't slide off the side of it if you can help it.

Not cheap to fix either..
Old 04-19-2010, 04:35 PM

Mine is this way too. I am the only owner I can blame. I am about 225 which should be OK but I realized after some posts on here that I was sliding out. It is so nice and easy to just turn to the left and slid on down. It appears to be a combination of a poorly designed and built seat and lazyness. I did the carpet piece under the foam and it helped for a while but now I need to spend the money on repair or replacement. I am thinking of some aftermarket seats, maybe air rides.

Anyway, welcome to the club
Old 04-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Banned

60,000 here and they feel like new. I agree the slide off is a good reason for failure of the foam on the left side of the seat. As for repair it is no big deal to pull the seat cover off and there are several different glues you could use to re-bond the foam where it is torn, that and judicious use of some duct tape, cover back on and you would never know it had failed.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by diesel4play
Mine is this way too. I am the only owner I can blame. I am about 225 which should be OK but I realized after some posts on here that I was sliding out. It is so nice and easy to just turn to the left and slid on down. It appears to be a combination of a poorly designed and built seat and lazyness. I did the carpet piece under the foam and it helped for a while but now I need to spend the money on repair or replacement. I am thinking of some aftermarket seats, maybe air rides.

Anyway, welcome to the club
And that brings up a good point. Whenever something fails upgrade it with something more trick. Then the problem is long forgotton!!
Old 04-24-2010, 12:33 PM

What a stupid design/quality by Dodge here.

Since my foam is split all the way through and the metal is coming up, should I replace the factory foam too first before adding more foam underneath it? Can that even be done?
Old 04-24-2010, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by CamperAndy
60,000 here and they feel like new. I agree the slide off is a good reason for failure of the foam on the left side of the seat. As for repair it is no big deal to pull the seat cover off and there are several different glues you could use to re-bond the foam where it is torn, that and judicious use of some duct tape, cover back on and you would never know it had failed.
This is what I would do, dealer wants 200 plus for that foam piece.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:39 PM

I picked up the lower seat foam frome the dealer for $110 and put it in with a 4" piece of foam and carpet that my dad had at the house. Its been in for 75,000 miles and its starting to wear thin again. Time to do it again.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:02 PM

That's ridiculous.

Aside from the fixes that we as customers have had to 'engineer', has anyone approached Dodge about this and received any response from the company?

I wouldn't mind hearing an answer why their seats wear out faster than anything else on the truck.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dave88LX
I heard that the previous owner was a pretty hefty guy. Apparently he destroyed the seat foam. I was told by the dealer who received the truck that part of the seat frame was replaced.

Can I buy replacement foam? The more I drive this truck, the more I realize how uncomfortable it is. I can actually feel the split in the foam and the metal poking up through along my left thigh.

SLT. Non-heated, non-power.
Not only do the seats wear very quickly, they are also the most uncomfortable in exsistence, add to that just plain clean water will stain these cloth seats and the grey always looks dirty even when its clean. My next upgrade has to be leather covers and new seat foam... There are some good threads on seat upgrades. Not sure if my old hands can handle the stress of changing seat covers....
Old 04-24-2010, 10:45 PM

I got my drivers seat back from the upolsery shop and installed it. Put in new factory foam and bottom cover. There was a lot of wear and the foam was real bad. Split and disintegrated. The old cover was much worse on the inside than what was showing. It was wearing from the inside out. The upolstery guy put carpet and a convertible top material around the wear points including the exposed steel pieces on the rear outside area. Feels and looks great. Hope I can make it last. Next time around it will be high quality aftermarket seats or something out of another car. I hope it will last at least 5 years.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dave88LX
That's ridiculous.

Aside from the fixes that we as customers have had to 'engineer', has anyone approached Dodge about this and received any response from the company?

I wouldn't mind hearing an answer why their seats wear out faster than anything else on the truck.
When my truck was under warranty I complained about the seat sinking badly after I sat in it for a while.They sent it off to an upolstery shop to be beefed up right away with no hesitation what so ever,for free.They know their seats are crap so why dont they fix them? Now its sagging to the left too,but I dont slide out I climb out backwards holding the hand grip.I need to go back and see the upolstery guy again.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:42 PM

Go to your local Hobby Lobby and get 1sf of burlap sack, a 24" 2"foam and some all purpose adhesive. Remove the seat cover, then take your time to glue burlap strips over the torn seat foam to fix the rip. Once that is all done i also used the 2" foam and put under the seat cover for additional padding for my 255lb self. The ride height is taller but i like it and i don't have to worry about it riping for a while. I have put on 10k miles since the repair and no issues since. Plus it only cost approx $10 to fix.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:11 PM

I put 2" foam underneath, stuck a piece of carpet between it and the wires on the bottom of the seat so the wires wouldn't cut the foam, problem solved. It's a cheap, quick, and easy fix.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seat foam is SHOT. I can feel the metal, foam is split.