2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

OK I HAVE LEAKAGE.....what now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry OK I HAVE LEAKAGE.....what now?

When I started the truck this morning I heard a groaning from the steering like during the winter.. it was around 60 this morning... by the time I got to work it had gone away. When I got home I checked my power steering fluid and had very little... I just topped it of less than a month ago with STP steering fluid (all I could find at when I needed it). I then proceeded to re-route my oil blow by and clean the top of the power steering pump. Started the engine and wah lah... I have a leak in the top of my power steering pump. , right at the center bolt. Could this be caused by using STP steering fluid and if so what should I use to replace it? Secondly if this is not caused by the fluid what are my options? I have about 90,000 miles and hope that this is covered under the 100,000-mile warranty? Does anybody know? If not, what should I be looking at to fix it? Does anybody have a drawing/schematic of the pump - I couldn't really see down there so well but could definitely tell it was coming from the bolt in the center. This is the 2nd time in a month I have added fluid, but only the third or fourth time since I bought the truck new in July 2000
Old 06-06-2004, 11:33 PM

I think the 100,000 mi warranty covers the Cummins engine only. Cummins warranties the engine and Dodge administers it. Accessories are covered by Dodge, completely seperate from engine warranty. I seem to remember the PS fluid is different from the usual stuff. You state the PS was losing fluid prior to this, so the leak may not be connected to using a different fluid. I've never needed to add fluid to my 1996 PS unit, so I have no experience with it really. Come on guys! Jump in here and offer your experience and advice.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:06 PM

I have had problems with mine too, but no leaks that "I" can see. I took it to the dealer because I was getting dead spots in the steering (Areas where I had no power assist, on or off the hydroboosted brakes). Those yahoos said it was "normal" Whatever.

Here is a link to a 2000 pump, looks alot like a saginaw type pump to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting
Old 06-08-2004, 12:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go buy some depends!!
Old 06-08-2004, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This might sound dumb, but try tightening the bolt real good. The bolt is one of two that holds the shell to the pump that holds the fluid. There is a fiber washer under it to seal it. Try tightening it down. If not a repair kit can be purchased from NAPA.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:55 AM

ok if the link to the ebay item is the pump then that is not what I'm talking about...... The item in question is right below the blow by bottle. You can see it if you look past the bottle and a smidge right as your looking at engine. I believe it is blueish in color.. am I even talking aout the right thing? b/c whatever it is that is where I am dripping fluid that looks like steering fluid. has to be related somehow...
Old 06-09-2004, 08:40 AM

Originally posted by slowerthanu
I have had problems with mine too, but no leaks that "I" can see. I took it to the dealer because I was getting dead spots in the steering (Areas where I had no power assist, on or off the hydroboosted brakes). Those yahoos said it was "normal" Whatever.

Here is a link to a 2000 pump, looks alot like a saginaw type pump to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting
Yeah, it look good in a pic but does it actually work? Kinda like that $500 dollar computer a friend bought that was dead in the box without a warranty! I see a lot of people reffering to Ebay for parts... I don't trust anything from Ebay I've seen too many people burned by Ebay...
Old 06-09-2004, 11:57 AM

OK I was wrong it is the Steering gear that is leaking.... I went by the dealership today at lunch... they will want $717.00 for the part and the total repair bill will be 937.82.. (OUCH ! ) -- what are my options with that -If I just keep adding $3.00 of PS Fluid every month month and half - is that possibly going to lead to a larger issue... ?
Please advise.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:36 PM

Steering box seals are replaceable. I don't like to do the upper seal myself so I took it to my local garage. The bottom seal I have done myself in the truck but it takes a bit.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:55 PM

Upper seals on the Saginaw box are simple to change - the only hard part is getting the bearing preload correct when you put the keeper back on. I changed the one on my 82 D350 on the truck and the only PITA thing was getting the steering couplers loose so that I could take the lower steering shaft out.

If you are going to do the seal and have the shaft out anyway you might want to consider installing a Borgeson or Flaming River u-joint to take the place of the old shoe-type slip joint. I haven't checked on the newer trucks but my older (77, 78, and 82) Dodge trucks run $60-80 for one.

Just a thought.......
Old 06-09-2004, 08:51 PM

OK since I will at some time in the near futire have to fix the sterring gear --- are there better/stronger/faster steering gears that I can consider? do we have the technology?