2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Heated Door Mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heated Door Mirrors?

Gentlemen,

I have a strange feeling this winter will be rough. I would love to have heated mirrors this winter if possible.
I am aware I could uprgrade to the flip our style heated mirrors however I am a bit stubborn and would like to keep my door mirrors.
I believe if I purchase a heating element I could disassemble the mirror and place the sticky heating element against the metal portion of the mirror and not the glass directly. I believe this will help delay the potential for a cracked mirror as the heat will get to it slower.
I have read that the factory heated mirrors run off some sort of timer to keep them from running too hot and cracking the glass. Does anyone know how long it is timed for? If not I was hoping to purchase the oem switch that goes with the Dash controls, not sure if that has a timer built into it. If anyone has any experience or heard of this being done please let me know what I should and should not do. Thank you in advance.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:35 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I believe the pcm takes care of timing out the heated mirrors, as mine usually turn off without me doing it, but I couldn't tell you how long that is.

I do not know what year your truck is from your post or sig. However I think the heated mirrors became an option with the interior upgrade of the 98.5 model year designation, which, if your truck is an SLT or SLT plus with power options may have everything prewired already.

Your Idea sounds like a good one, but aftermarket mirrors of your liking are pretty inexpensive and can be hooked up directly if you have the preiwiring.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have found several aftermarket manufacturers of the OEM flip up mirrors, I guess you could just call me stubborn, I think it would be cool to have heated chrome door mirrors. My truck is a 99' SLT Laramie, I am pretty sure it is pre wired, this is why I am thinking of simply upgrading to the factory switch and utilizing the factory wiring for my mirrors, obviously I would need to extend it.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:57 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I thought I saw the chrome mirrors available with heat now, somewhere. If you are talking about the pre black plastic mouse ear type.

Maybe at LMC truck?

I'm sure you could do what you are talking about though.