2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Back Window Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back Window Leak?

I know this has probably been posted before, but I was wondering what a good solution is for fixing leaks in the back window.....Mine leaks water on the sides around that track that the sliding rear window is in.....Seems like it only does it when there is a really bad rain or if the wind is blowing the water up against the back of the cab, but i'd rather it not do it at all.....Is there a good solution for fixing this problem? Thanks....
Old 03-06-2011, 11:38 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Probably needs new seals.

Are you sure your third brake light isn't leaking?
Old 03-07-2011, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG

It could be the third brake light I guess....I actually put a new seal on this not too long ago....Pretty sure it's making a good seal.....

It just wants to leak water in around the ends of that plastic track on top that the sliding rear window slides on.....ever seen that happen? guess i need to pour some water on it with the hose & see where it's getting in.....
Old 03-07-2011, 04:00 PM

I have had a canopy on mine since I got it and had it off only a couple times...

My third brake light was leaking last fall but it was causing the carpet to get wet, I never noticed any leaking around the rear window.

I'm thinking seals or just poor design.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:15 PM

new window

I had a slider stock when the truck was new. It had a cyclops leak under warranty and was fixed with a new gasket. About three years ago it started again and it wasn't the light. I had the window replaced with a solid one cause i never used the slider and its more secure this way. what i did learn from the window guys is that the metal/plastic dodge or whom ever slider seal is one time install at the factory and almost impossible to get window out and reuse the metal gasket seal. He seemed like he was telling the truth,i like my solid window alot better.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by jigdog
I had a slider stock when the truck was new. It had a cyclops leak under warranty and was fixed with a new gasket. About three years ago it started again and it wasn't the light. I had the window replaced with a solid one cause i never used the slider and its more secure this way. what i did learn from the window guys is that the metal/plastic dodge or whom ever slider seal is one time install at the factory and almost impossible to get window out and reuse the metal gasket seal. He seemed like he was telling the truth,i like my solid window alot better.
when you say slider seal are you speaking about that piece of plastic that seems to pop into place at the top of the window & then the sliding rear window can slide back & forth under it...sort of like the track? cause that seems like where the water leaks in from......
Old 03-08-2011, 12:10 AM

leak

No i am refering to the whole slider unit were it seals to the truck body.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:49 PM

I was just curious....Where does the water wind up when it leaks in through the third brake light seal?
Old 03-13-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by mstep3
I was just curious....Where does the water wind up when it leaks in through the third brake light seal?
Usually appears as wet carpet on passenger side floor, front. Many believe its the heater core/evap but its the third brake light seal 9 out of 10 times.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:23 PM

Usually appears as wet carpet on passenger side floor, front. Many believe its the heater core/evap but its the third brake light seal 9 out of 10 times.
You could always take your garden hose and spray the back window first, and see if water comes in. Then, if it hasn't, try the brake light. Mine leaked at the brakelight. I ran a small bead of silicone around the cover where it meets metal, and mine has stayed dry.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:30 PM

well, turns out it was the 3rd brake light....that's better than a leak in the window....water was just coming in on one side around the sliding glass....think i will just get a new seal for the brake light...
Old 09-29-2012, 04:10 PM

soild window

Originally Posted by jigdog
Jigdog; Where did you get the solid rear window for your truck ?

thanks
gordy

SORRY WRONG SECTION/FORUM