2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Electrical gremlins.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Electrical gremlins.....

1st up is the DOME LIGHT... cargo light works and switches seem to work but I am unsure where to trace/what colour wires from the dome light. No glove box light either. New bulb in no change so maybe the earth is shot?? under floormat?

2nd is my new sport headlights got stuck on the other day so I thought it was my daytime running lights. Disconnected the module but didn't stop them so found out the switch on the steering column(ie high beam selector) was half cocked. Fixed that but now the blue highbeam indicator doesn't work!? is that in the switch on the column half-fried now?

3rd is the backup lights don't work. I am almost certain it's the switch. Can I access that from the cab as it is in the tranny top?? How easy is it to replace. The part was like 30 bucks. I already have auxiliaries but would prefer to fix this aswell.

4th problem is prior to start up during a heater grid cycling when it is particularily cold out my pyro gauge goes beserk. Kind of worried it'll get fried.
I had it installed by BD so can't tell you much more but I am thinking it is taking power from the wrong circuit or one of my earths is not working properly.
The other week it was very cold and dry out and I was wearing sorrels all the
time. Everytime I stepped out of the truck after driving I would get zapped whenever I touched metal on the truck with my feet on the ground. Was I earthing myself or was the truck earthing through me???? I hasn't done it with any other footwear or not now it's more humid out???
any ideas???

Sorry for the long post but I thought it was best to put all the problems together...
Old 03-08-2006, 10:59 PM

I have been getting zapped quite a bit lately too. not sure why. can't help with your electrical problem though, unless you can bring your truck to me.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:36 AM

Was it dry out when that happened? I believe static builds up a lot in cold dry conditions.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:54 AM

I would start by checking and cleaning all of the ground connections you can find. The static shocks are probably just that but often quirky electrical problems like you describe are bad chassis or component grounds. Good luck.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:03 AM

I would start by checking and cleaning all of the ground connections you can find. The static shocks are probably just that but often quirky electrical problems like you describe are bad chassis or component grounds. Good luck.

Yet another thing on the long TO DO list
thanks