2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

DRW as a Daily Driver?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i went from a short bed 1500 4x4 to my dually 2wd i kept the 1500 for plowing and i'm glad i did. dont get me wrong cause i love my dually. but there is plenty of times that the smaller turck is just nice.

i find the dually is not worth anything in the snow either. last year i parked it in front of my shop to get my plow truck out and when i went to pull the dually in it was stuck in like 3 inches of snow!(empty bed) just spun, well being lazy i left it figuring i would deal with it after the storm. came back from plowing and some theif had busted my window a stole my radio basically destroying the dash to get the radio. granted that was due to my lazyness of not getting it unstuck and put inside but now if the weatherman calls for snow i just drive the smaller truck.

towing is such a freaking dream though with the dually that poor 1500 used to do all my towing for me and just not safe or fun. i have a 28ft enclosed trailor that has PUSHED the 1500 through red lights before . (way overloaded)
i know that overloading a 1500 is dumb but you do what you have to do.

my opinion the dually does not have any flaws that make it bad as a dailly driver i drive mine way more then the 1500. you just have to remember how mush truck you have , i'm pretty sure i'll always have a dually for cool factor and towing.

i am getting aprox 18MPG with 3:55 and 235/85/16 tires better then the 12MPG my 1500 gets.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:10 AM

I know mines a lot newer than your looking for, but my 04 four door Silver Dually is a great daily driver... I get around 18 mpg around town here and get about 24 mpg empty cruising at 65, "6" speed 373 gears... As far as tires go, they wear pretty good IMO... Guess it depends on the make.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:07 PM

Thumbs up

Get the DRW. I use mine as a daily driver. No problem getting into parking spaces as I will park it within an inch of the vehicles beside me.
I have also driven it to San Francisco and parked it in some tiny underground garages in China Town. The jaw dropping looks from the parking lot attendants are priceless as they see me pulling in and out of the lots without a scratch.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is my daily driver. It handles noticeably better in fast curves, it handles trailers MUCH better, and it kicks *** in a burnout contest. I almost won in Commerce, GA, but the 60 year old lady with a 440 in a van won just like she has the last 4 years in a row. No, I'm not making that up-any of you who were there on Saturday for the burnout contest saw this happen.

One thing to keep in mind is that you should put less pressure in the rear tires on a dually than you do on a SRW. Otherwise, the center of the tires will wear prematurely from carrying less weight.

I have no real trouble using a dually as my daily driver, and I would do it again if given the choice.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:31 PM

My truck is a daily driver too, In town too
Old 09-26-2006, 05:09 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Every truck i have owned has been an upgrade bigger and bigger every time and once you go Fullsize w/DRW you'll never go back.
I daily drive mine and push snow and hang a salt spreader off the back.
It's funny to see the rice rockets tryin to beat me big ole truck sooo fast.
But the rear fenders seem to be a magnet for idiots to hit. Been hit on the pass side twice in one year and neither one was my fault. People just don't expect the extra width of my truck.
Just buy it and you won't regret it.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:59 PM

yep,Ive got a single wheel and a dually.The dually wins everything hands down.Both are long box 4wd qc.Dually has better brakes,better handling and better steering.I use it to bolt around town ,and the other for the highway although I may retire the single wheel into a smoke machine here pretty quick.The dually is just so much nicer to drive and nobody cuts you off,but if they do they get a cloud of black.