2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Don't know if it's power steering or VP leak?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Don't know if it's power steering or VP leak?!?!

I've either got a power steering leak or an engine oil leak. I'm leaking fluid right on the pump(s) I guess where they mount together... I think. A few months ago I de-greased everything and washed it all. At first I thought gear box, but it's wet above there. I thought maybe the hose on the bottom of VP was loose. All hoses vp and ps associated are tight and not leaking. I suspect its leaking where they mount together. I guess they run piggyback? During the winter I had to add power steering fluid and every winter I have growling and the brake pedal acts noisy when it's cold in the winter. It howls and fall to the floor a time or two then sparatically but only when it's cold. I just went out to check everything and I've got oil 3/4 the way up the dipstick on PS and Full engine oil. Nothing is low??? Whatever it is must just seep and after it does that enough, then the whole area under neath is wet and drips.

How do I determine which is which?? Are there seal kits to just re-seal both of them?? Procedure?

Any and all help is appreciated,
-Ryan
Old 04-03-2007, 10:08 PM

Been doing some searching and found old threads w/ part #'s and procedures for re-sealing the vacuum pump, I could be wrong, but I thought I heard from someone that you could re-seal something w/ the power steering???
Anyone heard of anything like that? Procedure? I just thought that if I couldn't figure out which one it was, I would just re-seal both. Seems like the vacuum pump thing is the more common though.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:13 PM

Uhh, hello??
Old 04-05-2007, 07:41 AM

Wish I could help. Just noticed the same leak on my truck yesterday afternoon. Power steering fluid level is fine. Going to degrease engine and change oil today so I can do a little more investigating. Let us all know if you find an answer.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:21 AM

Check out fixinrams.com for more info on this. He explains some things on there.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:20 PM

Looks like it would be simple to fix but might be a pain to get everything off.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:19 AM

I bought the vacume seal kit from fixnrams and was impressed with it. He has a nice step by step dvd for the pump seals and sent it out very fast. I wish I was as fast to install it. lol... It has gotten cold again so I am waiting for the weather to warm just a bit. good luck!

as for the power steering try draining what you can and filling with fresh fluid. That helped mine with cold starts.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:14 PM

Yeah, I think it's probably the vacuum pump seal but I guess when it warms up I'll wash it all up and re-inspect everything to see which one it is... Power steering or vacuum pump leak. I guess if it gets really difficult to pinpoint I could put dye in one or the other.