2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Can you relate? Disk calipers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you relate? Disk calipers.

Well, three to four weeks ago the right rear, disk brake caliper seized on me. I posted a thread as to whether to replace or rebuild. I took the advice from many of you and as always you didn't fail me. THANKS! Last week I was quite a bit farther from home and my fears hit me head on, the driver’s side did the same thing. I pulled into a field, took the caliper off and plugged the brake line with a bolt, nut and some rubber washers! (use tight fitting washers or fluid will seep out the threads) I felt like “MacGyver”! Made it home on three calipers, wouldn’t suggest this tactic, DOT will spank you for sure. On both sides it was the upper piston. I figured it would be the bottom since gravity would keep moisture/debris in the lower one? I “try” and do preventative maintenance on my truck, brakes are a priority. I’ve totally flushed the fluid system twice since she was new five years ago. Has anyone else had this problem, the ones that haven’t what are you doing different? Thanks in advance, Kurt