Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Single disk vs multi disk torque converters

Old 07-15-2007, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single disk vs multi disk torque converters

So I need to make a decision about this and I would like to hear so opinions about this subject, which one and why? I daily drive my truck and also use it to pull the 5er, when towing combined weight will be between 19,000 and 21,000, I never race
Old 07-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
call Dave at Goerend Transmissions www.Goerend.com he'll lead you down the straight and narrow..... he'll tell you waht you need not what he wants to sell you....
Old 07-15-2007, 09:42 PM

goerend final word period.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99globalwarmer
goerend final word period.
werd..........
Old 07-15-2007, 10:30 PM

thank u 88
Old 07-15-2007, 11:12 PM

Another vote for Goerend, but I prefer the triple disc myself

Eric
Old 07-15-2007, 11:55 PM

I'm certainly still considering Goerend's (although his change in warrenty duration has changed my thinking somewhat) but I'm also considering a local trans builder and while I'll be talking to him also about torque converters I also wanted some independent input. so still looking for input on single disk vs double disk vs triple disk
thanks
Old 07-16-2007, 12:08 AM

I noticed in your sig. you have a BD tc,vb setup. Did it not work out, or is the rest of the tranny just tired? I would go for the triple disc.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by DSjockey
I'm certainly still considering Goerend's (although his change in warrenty duration has changed my thinking somewhat) but I'm also considering a local trans builder and while I'll be talking to him also about torque converters I also wanted some independent input. so still looking for input on single disk vs double disk vs triple disk
thanks
What is the change, and is this a new thing?
Old 07-16-2007, 12:42 AM

I Vote Goerend, I Am Still Yelling At My Dad/ Myself For Not Going With Him, I Spent Equal With A Local Shop And I Hate My Transmission, Go Goerend!!!
Old 07-16-2007, 05:41 AM

Gorend makes good stuff, as well as DTT and SunCoast. I like my DTT has done well for me and others i know, Im also a fan of the single disc converter. Will hold as much power as you throw at it with a good valve body. I see triples as more weight to spin being heavier. Less mpg, and ET's un less a strict drag stuck. Cause they use loose fluid coupling to light their large chargers and rely on lock up to put their power to the ground, not fluid coupling. My 2 ct's
Old 07-16-2007, 08:05 AM

Don't forget about ATS and HTS. There are many good auto companies out there, but yes, Goerand is a very good value in the market too.

The way I understand it (and I've been trying to learn myself for my own edification), the triple lock and 5 star (I think is 5 disks) I believe was incorporated into diesel transmissions first by ATS, but not sure if they invented or patented them. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than myself can correct me if I'm wrong.

I've heard single disks can be better for drag racing because they are lighter and maybe less slippage (not sure on the slippage). The more disks can be better for a towing situation. As far as how and why, I don't have that answer, but I believe that to be the main differences in the single vs multi disk.

I'm a little over my head on this subject and wanted to follow it as well. Just trying to learn some of the prnrdl stuff too seeing as I'm a 6 speed guy.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might also consider Dunrite. Several of the above mentioned companies owe much of their current success to Tony sharing his knowledge and information with them. I also think he may have been the first to build a triple disk but I am not positive about that.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:40 AM

Goerand all the way,, Also if you buy his single disc and want to upgrade down the road, he usually credits you for the first one towards the triple disk. Also if you buy the triple disk from him it comes with a Lifetime warranty on it, no matter how many miles you put on it
Old 07-16-2007, 10:36 AM

The reason the triples are better for most people, is that a triple will hold more power with less line pressure...DTT's use lot's of line pressure, and a tight single disk converter.

Personally, I love my single, and the higher pressure of the DTT. I know my clutch packs are going to hold, along with my converter. My tranny will spike to 215psi line pressure, and hold 205psi in OD lockup.

Is it better than every other tranny out there...no. Is it better in my mind, yes! But that only matters to me!

Just do lots of research, and deal with someone you feel comfortable with!
Chris

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Single disk vs multi disk torque converters