2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

BHAF

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 02:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re:BHAF

I guess it is up to you to decide what is best for what you want. I might try something else when it is time to throw away the BHAF. Trying new things out is part of the game...tires...fuel additives...oils...the list goes on.<br><br>Mike
Old 04-04-2002, 02:03 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The difference in this situation is the cone in the Scotty air has a higher flow area than the panel filter in the stock box. The panel just doesn't flow enough. The first gens allways had a drum type filter, I don't know why they ever changed it to that style... [disappointed]

Marine, I agree with the testing thing, its up to the user. If they only want to have the BHAF, fine, but its not the same as having the induction system, period. Others have said there is no difference, well I disagree.

J-eh
Old 04-05-2002, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey WeeOne, could this be the old guy otherwise known as Scott1? I'm glad to see that you're still helping us lower those EGTs. Since I discovered the BHAF last July I've made enough changes to hit the filter wall. I can now bottom out the filterminder I installed in the BHAF at will. This tells me I've reached or exceeded the ability of the filter to flow enough air to work as well as it needs to.<br><br>I really like what I'm seeing and reading about your new system, good work.
Old 04-06-2002, 07:27 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Dat be me moparguy. ;D I have had the filter minder in a lot of the test units for my system and only once did it move a tad.<br>I was impressed with your idea and alternate way to get more air into these engines.<br>I tried soliciting a few paper filter companies to build a paper cone filter to accommodate my system.<br>The cheapest was $250,000.00 dollars. Thats more then it cost for me to set up the Scotty but not a LOT! And, in spite fo the posts on the TURD about my getting rich and getting my truck BOMBed for free [sheesh whats a job supposed to get me anyway LOL Buy high and sell low]...I don't feel I should be the one to do the paper filter.<br>Let the big guys or the naysayers build it. Also, I think that the BHAF serves as a good affordable intermediate approach for folks that are either very lightly modified or stock. IT will not remain efficient like some folks think it will and I am glad to hear it direct from you that what I saw is what will happen.<br>Can you imagine the feud on the TURD if I would've mentioned anything remotely negative about the possibility of limitations? I'd be in the penalty box with Bill.<br>The Scotty II would've been a reality a lot sooner had I not been out with an injury and surgeries. Also, if I had sold more to make all that money some folks claim I am making. ;]<br><br>Since I'm on a roll. Just this Friday I had a good look at a 3 gauge pillar replacement. For the price of that I was amazed at how it really is not a replacement and if you have a tweeter you might have to alter your factory pillar and the gauge holes are all too big for gauges to fit good. Then you have to still put holes in your factory pillar mount to attach it.<br>They even suggest in the instructions on buying an 'A' pillar from the dealer without the tweeter. Needless to say...I see some new pillar pod REAL replacements coming...1, 2, 3, and 4 gauge ones.<br><br>Whoops I strayed from the subject. What was it? <br><br>Slowly but surely I am working my way back into the mainstream. Good to hear from you.
Old 04-08-2002, 12:11 PM

All this talk about hot air being drawn into the engine has confused me. When I had the cam plate put in, the shop removed the &quot;restictor tube&quot; between the air cleaner box and fender. Wouldn't that cause hot air to be drawn into the engine? If so, why not take a piece of flexible metal hose and run it from next to the radiator under the battery box and into the air cleaner box (or near the BHAF)? I'm sure 3&quot; tube that they used to use on carburator preheater ducts would work and 3&quot; is better than nothing! They may even have larger diameters that can be crushed a bit to fit past the lower radiator hose. Any comments??
Old 04-08-2002, 01:23 PM

I know I really need to upgrade my filter. i bought a new k&amp;n filter and I can still suck down the filter minder. so I think the next step for me is a BHAF. I do live in farm country and see a lot of dust so I still need a good filter.<br>Aaron
Old 04-08-2002, 05:36 PM

Here are my 2 c worth. <br><br>1st off the K&amp;N issues, I have run a K&amp;N type filter since my truck had 25K on it, I'm now at 120K. I have never been over 9 ppms of silicon in a oil report whic I have done every 7500 miles since changing over to AmsOil with 55K. My turbo and hoses have never had any oil, dirt or black residue (sp). I drive a really dusty road at least twice a week. The K&amp;N and AFE filters have kept my engine clean!!!!! <br><br>2nd I took my Scotty 1 housing off this winter trying to get more heat into the intake. And even in the dead of winter I noticed a 100 deg hotter EGTs cruising down the freeway. Normally I see 600 deg with the cruise set at 70MPH and w/o the housing I was seeing 700 deg, even w/ outside temp down into the 10s. I also have an intake air temp sender and measure intake temp right at the intake elbow. W/ the Scotty housing it usially run 15-20 deg above outside air temp(o/t). Except at very high boost levels pulling loads and hot rodding around. I have seen as high as 190 deg with o/t of 100 deg pulling a back hoe up a good grade.<br><br>I had a new BHAF given to me to try and my data collection isn't complete but here is what I got to date....<br><br>The intake temp is up to as much as 35-65 deg above(o/t). EGTs are up 100 deg cruising down the freeway. It was 73 deg o/t and I saw 223 deg going up my test hill. The EGTs always max on this hill anyway but they where there alot faster than with they normally do.<br><br>I am at 400+ HP but IMHO the cooler you can keep the air before the turbo plays off even more than trying to cool more in the intercooler.<br><br>Can't wait to try a Scotty 2!!!!!!<br><br>
Old 04-08-2002, 06:27 PM

hey does anybody know what the max usable HP is on the factory turbo I have not had any problems with mine and I am at 306 rwhp I guess that is around 350 flywheel. That is what I was told. I would like to push 400 flywheel hp. Is that possible? (sp)<br>thanks<br>Aaron
Old 04-08-2002, 06:40 PM

dodgeman01, With the 12 CM2 housing on mine I got 342 HP and I really had to watch the EGTs towing. Then with the 16CM2 housing I got to 392 HP but again right on the ragged edge of being too hot.<br><br>Both the above numbers where at 4200 feet, so I would think you could get alittle more w/o problems at lower altitudes.
Old 04-08-2002, 06:45 PM

thanks<br>I will have to make sure I get some guages if that is true when I am running 350hp. I was thinking about changeing my turbo from my 93 until I can get the money for a new turbo.<br>Aaron
Old 04-09-2002, 10:30 AM
DJ

I read somewhere that you lose one horsepower for every 10 degree increase in inlet air temp. Of course the intercooler might be able to handle the increase from taking underhood air.
Old 04-09-2002, 01:41 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Another lil tidbit...for every degree of temperature reduction from outside air, the air temp after passing through the intercooler is 1.4 degrees cooler.<br><br>So 100 degrees reduction by taking outside air equates to 140 after the intercooler.<br>Now other parameters come into play...how the air is delivered, what the restrictions are, what kind of plenum is used, is there a negative or positive pressure change, what is the pressure drop over the filter, after the filter, where is the air drawn from, what effect does the application have on the pressure side and the exhaust side or the turbo, what is the first thing in the design that has reached its effinciency limits, and the list goes on and on.<br><br>Don't forget that there are another bunch of factors too like what power and where is the power generated from the engine...blah blah blah ;D
Old 04-09-2002, 08:50 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[disappointed] [disappointed] [disappointed]<br>Well, well well, I guess the TDR police didn't like me having a link to this very informative post on the BHAF. :'( :'(<br><br>Well TFB for you guys (TDR) this post has lots of good information on the BHAF and other systems..<br><br>Sensorship sucks.. [****]. and so does the $65 CAD I paid to &quot;post&quot; there.... [disappointed] <br><br>Ok I'm sorry, I had to vent.... [evil] Someone must have shares in Balwin/NAPA or whomever sells that filter.<br><br>J-eh
Old 04-09-2002, 10:07 PM
Top's Younger Twin

I hate typing.<br><br>SMASH [******]
Old 04-09-2002, 11:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lil Dog-<br><br>That's interesting about the TDR link to here being cut off. :-X<br><br>Mike

Quick Reply: BHAF