2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

BHAF

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2002, 09:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re:BHAF

I don't think it is putting that much of a damper on the performance. Maybe if there was no charge air cooler. Anyways, I am building a heat shield for mine, just to shield it from the turbo heat. I don't think it is really necessary for the heat sucked into the engine as it is for protecting the filter from burning (doubt it gets to 451* anyways) but more for protection from water being splashed up from below. <br><br>Mike
Old 03-27-2002, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Mike for the info. I am from the old school where you were always trying to get cooler air into the 440 with verious adaptions. I will have to try the filter, anything to make the cummins life a little easier, I really do not like the stock air system.<br><br>Bill
Old 03-27-2002, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[attachment deleted by admin]
Old 03-27-2002, 07:07 PM

scottrod<br><br>How about posting the dimensions here, there are probably several of us that want them?<br><br>Dan
Old 03-27-2002, 07:20 PM

I would but I have it all saved in a file that's about 500kb. Plus I have one that you can print out and tape the pages together and it will give you a real size template. I have no problem with sending out the specs to anyone that wants them. ;D
Old 03-27-2002, 11:20 PM

Scottrod-I have the same template. Did you do it yourself? I'm thinking of modifying that design a little bit, where the vertical side curves over a bit to reflect the turbo heat down a little.

Mike
Old 03-29-2002, 09:23 AM

Mike,<br>I had a guy in the sheetmetal shop at work build it for me. I had to modify it a bit also. Fits and works good. The only thing I have noticed is the filter does get wet after a trip through a brushless car wash.
Old 04-01-2002, 09:50 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is one point always missed for the hot air into the engine...<br><br>The turbocharger is the component that will be the most affected by hot air into its inlet, not the engine. <br><br>The problem lies in what the performance curves (flow vs comp ratio) are developed for the turbo with a given inlet temperature range, somewhat below under hood air temp.. So the risk is not whether the intercooler can cool the air or if the inlet air to the engine is too high but rather if the air is too hot to the turbo inlet. Have you ever hear the whoof of a cavitating turbo? Well you usually only hear it once or twice, then its on to a new one because you usually either snap the shaft or over spin the turbo and it explodes.<br><br>Now of course this is usually only a problem with those on the edge of the curves for the turbo anyway, usually above 35-40 psi boost depending on model, but I don't have the curves in front of me to say for sure. <br><br>The heat sheild will help a bit, but you need cool outside air to make the most of your turbo. You spent $1200 on a stainless exhaust to save 5% of your horsepower but you won't spend a cent to get a 20% effeciency boost on your turbo?? Hmmmm.<br><br>J-eh
Old 04-01-2002, 10:20 PM

[quote author=Lil Dog link=board=5;threadid=620;start=30#13693 date=1017719453]<br>[Edit]<br> You spent $1200 on a stainless exhaust to save 5% of your horsepower but you won't spend a cent to get a 20% effeciency boost on your turbo?? Hmmmm.<br><br>J-eh<br>[/quote]<br><br>the 20% will come from the turbo if you have cooler air for it?<br>As for the whoof from the turbo, any turbo'd engine will emit that sound if you take your foot off the accelerator fast. Why would cooler air make a difference on that aspect of the turbo?<br>inquiring minds would like to know.<br><br>Mike
Old 04-02-2002, 02:28 AM
Jrr

Cooler air is more dense, thus more is packed into the cylinders. When you go to high altitudes you will have less boost than at sea level because the air is thinner. That was one of the problems I saw when flying to lake Tahoe in the middle of summer lots of pilots didnt take into consideration high altitude plus high temperature 108* equaled messy trousers. ;D
Old 04-02-2002, 10:03 AM

Jrr- Everyone knows that cooler air is more dense, but does the heat from the turbo going into the open element outweigh the benefits of an open element compared to the stock box?<br><br>I don't think so.<br><br>It seems to me the intake temps were taken with underhood air as well as fresh air, and the final temps on the back side of the charge air cooler weren't that much different. I think it was on the TDR. Did anyone else read this? I think it was about 6 months ago.<br><br>Mike
Old 04-02-2002, 03:53 PM
Banned

[quote author=Marine link=board=5;threadid=620;start=30#13086 date=1017243888]<br>Anyways, I am building a heat shield for mine, just to shield it from the turbo heat. I don't think it is really necessary for the heat sucked into the engine as it is for protecting the filter from burning (doubt it gets to 451* anyways) but more for protection from water being splashed up from below. <br><br>Mike<br>[/quote]<br>That is why I built my intake. To shield the filter from water and stuff. I WAS going to use a K&amp;N but I guess I will use a conical AFE. Does anybody know a site that I can order the filter off of?
Old 04-03-2002, 09:56 AM

www.smokindiesel.com<br><br>Mike
Old 04-03-2002, 10:27 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[attachment deleted by admin]
Old 04-03-2002, 12:30 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Lil Dog...what the heck would us Canucks know about air flow characteristics, air density, pressure drops, positive and negative air pressure, cfm, and George Foreman grills?<br>Still on to do the next batch of flow tests on the censored pressure system?<br> ;]<br><br>It was kinda surprising how the efficiency of different applications changed drastically when the CFM reached the limits if the air filtration system and how that equated to a fast rise in compressor side temps.<br>Very cool or er um Hot.

Quick Reply: BHAF