2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

BHAF

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 01:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:BHAF

[quote author=Wee One link=board=5;threadid=620;start=30#13913 date=1017858603]<br>Lil Dog...what the heck would us Canucks know about air flow characteristics, air density, pressure drops, positive and negative air pressure, cfm, and George Foreman grills?<br>Still on to do the next batch of flow tests on the censored pressure system?<br> ;]<br><br>It was kinda surprising how the efficiency of different applications changed drastically when the CFM reached the limits if the air filtration system and how that equated to a fast rise in compressor side temps.<br>Very cool or er um Hot.<br>[/quote]<br>What did you just say? Put it in laymans(sp) terms for us highschoolers. Or at least me.
Old 04-03-2002, 01:56 PM

Them thar heat shield look neat . How much for dem sheilds,trad yu a goat for one or a couple chikens not molested yet.
Old 04-03-2002, 04:46 PM
Banned

That thar is a right purdy offer. I trade ya a fine piece of cow for one them thar goats. Goats is good eatin'. No seriously, what did he say? It went straight over the top of my head. But let me take a guess, you can only flow the amount of air into your turbo that the intake can handle. Once you reach and breach that point, the turbo is working harder to draw more air than it can and it raises temps. Correct, close, or completely off?
Old 04-03-2002, 05:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe he was trying to say that with the colder air going into the turbo, it performs better. The reason is because the cooler the air, the more mass it has. The more mass it has the more oxygen in it.<br><br>So 100 cubic feat of air at 100*, weighs more than 100 cubic feet at 300*. Therefore has more oxygen content.<br><br>Mike
Old 04-03-2002, 05:20 PM
Banned

I wasn't sure. I know that cooler air is denser air and has more oxygen. I have been around gassers for a long time now and i know that the cooler you can get air into them the more power and I figured that it would be the same with us, even more so since we have the turbo and the intercooler. We can get the air twice as cold.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:13 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I still think chikkens and kows have more hot air then we need...but they'd go good on the George Foreman Grill. <br><br>Lil Dog does testing [for a living] of flows and pressures of all sorts of equipment and that includes air, gases and liquids.<br>He is still trying to get me to understand some dynamics of how good ole amibient air works with some things.<br>I just started toying with a pressure system and new kinds of plenums that react similar to when winds deflect off of tall buildings.<br>I did not know that winds can increase in speed when they hit or deflect off of a building. Why is that?<br>me no comprende dat.<br><br>Lil Dog...if I described what you do wrong...take some Horsepower from me please! This last lil add-on made short work of the rear tires...and I do not even have the [censored] hooked up. <br>
Old 04-03-2002, 11:00 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

;] ;] I think you pretty much told it Wee One.. No deductions for Hp (darn) [shoot].. I analyse engines/compressors and rotating equipment for the Oil and Gas field.<br><br>Basically guys its as simple as the cool dense air that everyone knows is the best. If you have more mass to start with (more actual mass #'s) you will realize much more in the end after compressing it with the turbo. If the turbo is more &quot;efficient&quot; at a certain temp and pressure then it can compress the same or more air with less effort...Result is lower temps on the intake and exhaust side. More power is produced in the engine for less input into the turbocharger. <br><br>When you affect the compressor on the turbo, you also affect the driver (Ie the exhaust turbine). If you take less drive pressure on the exhaust side to produce the same boost, thats better efficiency.<br><br>Now in my opinion, the BHAF is just allowing more flow through paper that most with cone filters (AFE, K&amp;N etc) are realizing. Its just that some people like paper and thats fine. The kicker is that you nead a huge amount at the higher temps as opposed to a smaller amount at a cooler temp. That is why you can get better results with the Scotty system with just a 4&quot; inlet as opposed to the Huge filter exposed to the under hood flow.<br><br>Now I've known the developer of the Psychotty for a while now, but the idea is a good one. Good enough for NASCAR anyway..Also good enough for everyone and their Goat to try and copy it. So if I sound biased, I have been persuaded with the thermodynamics as well as the owner...<br><br>J-eh. [smokin]
Old 04-03-2002, 11:12 PM

this may sound dumb but what does a psycotty filter look like, and how much money does it cost, and how hard is it to put in?<br>thamks<br>Aaron
Old 04-04-2002, 09:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lil dog I understand your argument. Being in Vegas for the last fewdays, I can see first hand the difference heat has affected the turbo pressures in 100* heat compared to 60* temps at the coast. More smoke and less power here in vegas.<br><br>Mike
Old 04-04-2002, 09:59 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Marine, thats also the altitude...as you know from being in Calgary...its gets a bit worse up here. Or is that better? ;D<br><br>
Old 04-04-2002, 10:08 AM

ok Puppy, so are you saying that a BHAF is not a good way to go for increasing hp over a K&amp;N in a stock box ??
Old 04-04-2002, 10:13 AM
Chapter President

[quote author=dodgeman01 link=board=5;threadid=620;start=45#14040 date=1017897169]<br>this may sound dumb but what does a psycotty filter look like, and how much money does it cost, and how hard is it to put in?<br>thamks<br>Aaron<br>[/quote]<br><br>No such thing as dumb questions man, its just a question ...<br>Take a look at Scotty Air Systems for the install and pictures of the system. The filter is an AFE filter and you can see it in the photos or go to the AFE site and look up the filter number.<br><br>Sorry about the rant guys. But some guys are trying to get me to use a similar BHAF filter on my first gen. I just can't see the benefits no matter how cheap it is.<br><br>To me the cost for the Scotty system is not bad (less that $200 US I think) considering what you can spend on an exhaust system. Now I don't have exact numbers so email Scotty to get the most recent pricing.<br><br>J-eh<br>
Old 04-04-2002, 10:21 AM
Chapter President

[quote author=DaBigDawg link=board=5;threadid=620;start=45#14089 date=1017936515]<br>ok Puppy, so are you saying that a BHAF is not a good way to go for increasing hp over a K&amp;N in a stock box ??<br>[/quote]<br><br>I Know of guys using AFE in their stock boxes with about 280 RWHP (330 Hp flywheel) and have very little problems with EGT or performance. Now what I said is that the BHAF will flow the amount of air required at the higher temps, but if you are going that far, why not get some cool air to it instead??<br><br>For you gas users here is my experience with a 99 2500 4X4 with a 360. We had to remove the air runner to the fender to accomodate an under hood compressor. After that the truck would &quot;ping&quot; or detonate with the slightest load.. Well, went down to the local Home Depot and got some 4&quot; dryer vent tubing (aluminum) and made a duct from the grill to the intake. No more detonation. <br><br>Everyone has these kind of stories to tell, but the theory is the same for all internal combustion engines. <br>Cool is Cool!!! 8) 8)<br><br>J-eh
Old 04-04-2002, 12:17 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Lil Dog...puppy. LOL [smokin]
Old 04-04-2002, 01:18 PM

then what is the diff between a pschotty and a K&amp;N. I have a K&amp;N and it works fine it is in the stock box. just wondering which filter is the best.<br> ??? ??? ???<br>Aaron

Quick Reply: BHAF