2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

ABS/Brake Lights came on- dlr explanation...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS/Brake Lights came on- dlr explanation...

On two occasions I have had the ABS/Brake light to come on when pulling a camper on the Blueridge Parkway.. Both times the lights went off as soon as I restarted the truck.<br><br>I had the truck as the dealer yesterday for some other repairs and had the ABS/Brake lights down/replace bad speed sensor as a repair. There were no codes in the computer for the abs/brakes and this is what the dealer explained happened.. It sounds reasonable to me, what do you think.<br><br>His explaination is (he has also had atleast one other truck with the same problem in for repairs).. Since I have a brake controller installed AND the computer system is very noticable of voltage drops - what has happened is that probably when i hit the brakes the voltage dropped just enough to make the sensors think there was a problem and turn on the lights.. And when i restarted the truck the voltage was OK so the lights went off..<br><br>His solution.. run a fused hot wire from the battery to a thing-a-ma-jog (ok.. not a solenoid, maybe a resistor - definately an electronic switch though - just cant remember the name he used) and have the lights from the truck activate the electronic switch BUT let the power for the lights come from the direct battery hotwire.. That is probably clear as mud, but i think you get what i mean..<br><br>Does this sound acceptable??<br><br>thanks..
Old 10-22-2002, 05:27 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Re:ABS/Brake Lights came on- dlr explanation...

Sounds like you just described a solenoid to me.<br>If that's the problem, that should take care of it.
Old 10-22-2002, 05:32 AM

solenoid.. yea that is the thing-a-ma-jig i meant to say.. <br><br><br>thanks...<br><br><br>Can someone give me a clue as to how to wire a solenoid (or im thinking more then one solenoid) into my trailer wiring??<br><br>thanks..
Old 10-22-2002, 08:55 AM

I don't know the wiring procedures, but here they do some type of wiring &quot;bypass&quot; for trailer lights on the Dodges with a toggle switch mounted below the instrument panel. I knew it was done to prevent some type of electrical problem. This may be the problem they were talking about.<br><br>CR
Old 10-22-2002, 09:31 AM

Hey, Lynchburg, I work in Salem....<br><br>Anyway, did your truck come with the adapter plug for trailer wiring?
Old 10-22-2002, 03:50 PM

Hey there Latitud_rt - yes it came with the brake controller adopter plug... BUT the popup i have does not have electric brakes just the standard running/turns/brake lights.. it uses the 4 pole connection.. The abs/brake light has only come on with me pulling the popup.<br><br>I have an older jordan brake controller that I am using with a tandem axle car hauler type trailer (to pull my tractor) that has electric brakes and uses the 7 pole connection (std rv type). the abs/brake lights have never come on when I have pulled it..
Old 10-22-2002, 06:58 PM

Thatguy<br><br>You already have a solenoid in your system to feed the trailer running lights so that it does not go thru the headlight switch. This solenoid is part of the towing package. However the brake lights are not going thru a solenoid. I have never heard of this causing a problem and I doubt that a solenoid would make any difference. If it did solve it, I think you would just be masking the real problem.<br><br>I think you will find your problem by checking all your wiring and ground connections for your trailer. Are you using the RV outlet with the 7 to 4 pin adapter? If you are, then your problem is most likely in the trailer wiring. If you are not, check the 4-pin wiring to see if it was done right.<br><br>The first thing I would suspect is a bad ground connection at the lights on the trailer.<br><br>Dan
Old 10-23-2002, 05:36 PM

The dealer is full of baloney. The truck thinks you have a bad connection/bulb out like Dan said.