24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

wrecked 99 now no gears

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wrecked 99 now no gears

I was in a wreck and@ First I could not get the truck to start. I figured if I can get the truck to start everything else I can fix. Got out of the truck found where the shifter linkage goes the plastic piece the shifter rod slides in was all out of whack got it close to to the hole got the park position to fill with the little orange indicator & it fired right up.
Well I read a post where a guy was out mudding&his od unit broke.He wanted to make sure he didn't screw up anything else inside of the trans so he didn't say how but his word's were that he hillbillyd it together &was able to drive it just to check the gears.
Now I know I've already made myself sound like an idiot but is that even possible? Next I'm looking for an od case.Now when I put in my 241 dhd in it had to be off of a I believe 98.5-02 with same trans I have the 241 dhd.So is there a specific od case I need? Also is there any good write ups on swapping the guts or is it one of those thing's that you pull it set it on a bench&it all just slides out?Part of me is scared to replace the od unit I've thought about buying a rebuilt od unit &swapping in instead of just the od case. But what worries me is if I do that then If it doesn't fix the issues&I still have no gears then I have to go out and buy a transmission and all of the money and time I applied to the overdrive would have been a waste I could have been used on the full transmission. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:08 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I'd take a look at the electrical connector and the wiring loom to the tranny- anything amiss there?
How about fluid level- and did you kink or tear the transmission cooler lines?
Then, with the help of a factory service manual, you can take some pressure readings.
And, last but not least, are you definitely sure that your transfer case is not in neutral?
(you bent one linkage out of whack so the neighbor linkage is also suspect)

HTH
Old 07-30-2015, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My overdrive unit is broken off of the t case
Old 07-30-2015, 08:10 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Oooops-- did not get this from your post.

The OD unit on the 47RE is easy to get off- just unbolt it and slide it backwards.
As long as you don't disassemble it it will also slide on - no problem at all.
But since you had such a violent crash I must suggest that you pull the whole transmission and tear it apart.
You will need to check the shafts for being bent and the cases for cracks.
The transmission may work now, but with a bent and wobbling output shaft it will destroy itself in very short order if you try to drive.
The same goes for the t-case.

HTH