24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Updated Info on VP-44

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Updated Info on VP-44

I had a chance to discuss VP-44 with a rebuilder/tester. Got some new (to me at least) info on the problems with the VP-44.

I started researching this (again) because my third pump is failing at 7500 miles. Have read about two other CTD's in same boat!
I was told the following........
-Heat is the enemy. (No surprise there).
-Bosch has had 5 updates published for the VP-44
-Over 90% of all failures are failed computer boards on the pump.
-The more cooling returned fuel you can pump through the VP-44, the better. (good argument for higher fuel pressures and for my FASS)
-Computer chip/board that sits on top of the pump is good for about 2000 heat cycles.
-Bosch VP-44 Testing Equipment is less than excellent. Had problems when it came out and is still just ok at best.

The problem arises when we order a $1,000 rebuilt VP-44. The computer chip test is either pass or fail. It may pass but we may get a pump with 1900 heat cycles already on it. It may be ready to act up or just fail.
The above seems to be my scenario.....
Irratic rough idle after long trips, missing at light throttle when below 1600 rpm, more than normal white smoke at start up and low dyno results!

Also, Seems we have no idea what yr pump we get when we order a rebuilt. Could be a 99 with none of the upgrades done to it ... but it has passed all the Bosch tests! This pump was described to me as "nearly useless"! Not surprisingly, 2002 pumps were the best.

My guess is this problem may only get worse as pumps get rebuilt for the 2nd and 3rd time.

My research has led me to the Blue Chip, fully rebuilt and fully upgraded VP-44 (incl. new computer chip/board). Costs 50% more but if it lasts as long as my 02 factory pump (100,000 miles), I figure I would have been way ahead, dollar wise, buying one the first time around!

RJ
Old 03-18-2009, 01:02 PM

Good to know, I'm still on the original at 130,000
Old 03-18-2009, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All pumps are suppose to get the latest updates when being rebuilt. But that does not mean they get new parts if it has the latest in there and meet specs. This is blue chips selling point, new housing and new computer along with newest updates.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by RAM2940
All pumps are suppose to get the latest updates when being rebuilt. But that does not mean they get new parts....
Yeah, confusing! Not sure what actual updates are... physical or software? Thought a more heat resistant chip board was one? But the story I was told about posibility of getting stuck with a 99 pump was almost a direct quote so...... ?

New Computer board from Blue Chip was the deciding factor for me. Supposedly a $500.00 item.

Not enough evidence yet to be sure but appears rebuilts are not lasting as long as they use to.
Maybe second rebuilds with "fedex" board, so not replaced, and many heat cycles??

RJ
Old 03-18-2009, 04:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There is a small amount updates on internals (for the good) like you said computer boards is the biggest most rebuilders is test and fly. But if they have to change the board its the same price, works out the average good and passable boards to balance cost ........... less is more----profit I have been looking at blue chip as well just waiting for the pump to die 250,000 and counting on the oem
Old 03-18-2009, 06:14 PM

I was told yesterday by a Midwest rep that any pumps rebuilt by a authorized bosch rebuilder will have the steel timing sleeve and a 100% new computer installed among a few other things.

What he also said is that BlueChip is not a Bosch authorized rebuilder(B.A.R.), however they do everything that would be required by a B.A.R.
Midwest is an B.A.R. and do everything BlueChip does. Including new comp.
"BlueChip just sells it sexier"

If that is the case the choice is clear. for the price of a B.C. VP44 you get a midwest VP44 and a FASS 95/150. Thats a free FASS

If you have heard otherwise please inform me, this was my deciding factor.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:20 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hmm...98.5 and well over 300k on the original pump. Wonder why? our lift pump has gone 5-6 times now.

Great post. So can you buy just the computer board if you know its acting up?
Old 03-18-2009, 06:41 PM

What are the difference in warranty between the two ?
Old 03-18-2009, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by wantedwolf
I was told yesterday by a Midwest rep that any pumps rebuilt by a authorized bosch rebuilder will have the steel timing sleeve and a 100% new computer installed among a few other things.
That would be a SALES rep?
Hear the above often but just trying to understand why my factory pump lasted as long as my last two replacements..... one from Midwest and one from Industrial Injection?
Also why rebuilds seem to be failing earlier.

Blue Chips web site ... also sales pitch .... says they are statistically way ahead of Bosch Authorized Rebuilders for pump endurance.

I don't have many answers. Check with me in 100,000 miles and I tell you how my Blue Chip VP-44 did/is doing.

RJ
Old 03-18-2009, 08:59 PM
Chapter President

To add to what was mentioned above, you can call Bosch direct with the serial number of the pump and they can do an audit to tell you what has been done by the rebuilder. At least that's what I was told some years ago when I talked with them.

My original pump lasted 100,000 and my rebuild is going on 70,000 and was tapped the day it went in the truck.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
RJ:

After reading your thread and posts here, you make me glad I sold my 2002! In 94,000 miles that truck saw three (3) VP-44's for whatever the reasons for failure were. But looking at your list, I saw some reasons there why mine might have gone out.

Good luck to you and all the other Members here with getting your VP's more
"bulletproof."

--------
John_P
Old 03-18-2009, 10:27 PM

I dont know either.

FWIW to have their side of things, Midwest has a good chatroom feature on their website. I was chatting with someone instantly, turns out it was the same guy i had on the phone.

I dont think BlueChip said they were specifically better than midwest or any other company. Just they were offering the best pump right?
Every company can say they are the best.

Seems rebuilders offer a 1 year warrenty at best, no one has faith. But most will last over 1 year so their pretty safe saying 1yr.

and apparently the newest VP44 chip is still the "fedex" no updates? how old is the fedex?
Old 03-18-2009, 10:32 PM

The more I read all these posts about rebuilt VP's makes me more nervous about getting my new one...It's about dead but I have no idea who to buy from (trying to keep it cheap). It's about come down to open my Bookmarks, close my eyes and click one. I agree about sales reps, I know there's good ones out there, but there's too many just looking for a sale and they'll tell ya what ya wanna hear.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 2 of blue chips vp44s and im real happy with them
Old 03-18-2009, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by wantedwolf
and apparently the newest VP44 chip is still the "fedex" no updates? how old is the fedex?
They are about 4 years old or so. They were all the rage when my VP went out in late '05. I was also told all pumps have those electronics. At that point, I was looking at the Blue Chip pump, II HRVP, and the Schied VP, all were around $1600. Obviously, thats not the case anymore.

Quick Reply: Updated Info on VP-44