24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Truck won't shut off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck won't shut off.

Started having a new problem. Turn the key off, engine keeps running. Its happened 3-4 times now in the last couple weeks, or about everytime I drive, as I dont drive it much any more with the work truck. No ryhme or reason on how to shut it off either, cycle the key a couple times and usually shuts off eventually. Just installed the Adrenaline and have been having problems with the pulse, could this be the culprit? or is the key tumbler in the steering column just getting wore out and not catching all the time. Truck has about 210k on it. Thanks,
Old 07-29-2008, 10:01 PM

Sounds like ign switch is messing up. Look if anything else is shut off. Does radio go off, window lifts, lighter, ect.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am mostly familiar with my 96 model but I offer the following thoughts provided that the 99 model is similar. Check your shutdown solenoid. This solenoid is spring loaded to the off position and energized to the on position. There are 2 circuits going to the solenoid, one is the run circuit and the other is the pull up circuit. When you turn on the key the run circuit is energized. When you go to start the pull up circuit is energized. The pull up circuit turns the fuel on while starting and the run circuit holds it on while normal operation.

The solenoid could be dirty so cleaning and lubrication could solve the problem. One major issue you need to check for is a stuck starter solenoid. If the starter solenoid is stuck on then the pull up circuit is always energized and prevents the fuel solenoid from releasing. At least, this is how I understand its operation. Maybe some of the more knowledgeable members can add or correct what I say. Do a search for shutdown solenoid and you may get more info.

I had a problem with the fuel solenoid not turning on and cleaning corrected the problem. Attached is a wiring diagram I got off this site.
Attached Thumbnails Truck won't shut off.-truck-starter.jpg  
Old 07-30-2008, 04:46 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by isu elvi
Just installed the Adrenaline and have been having problems with the pulse, could this be the culprit?
Do you have the turbo timer set? Next time just hit the throttle and see if thats it.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by wurkenman
Do you have the turbo timer set? Next time just hit the throttle and see if thats it.

Yeah, when I first got my pulse I think the TT was set for 3 mins., but you can change it to more/less time or set it to shut off at whatever EGT you want. And like Wurkenman said, you can override the TT by blipping the throttle.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:06 PM

I guess I never thought of the turbo timer. The pulse buttons aren't working at the moment, so I am not able to get in and check to see what the turbo timer is set at. Otherwise, the radio and all of electrical stuff shuts off. I will take the pulse off to get it warranty work done, and I will see if that works.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:13 PM

Just do like Wurkenman said and hit the throttle. If it is the turbo timer, that will kill it.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:01 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by isu elvi
I guess I never thought of the turbo timer. The pulse buttons aren't working at the moment, s
If you feel comfortable taking the back off, just wash the contacts with some alcohol and a tissue. Seems to make my buttons work again.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:19 PM

that happend to me, turns out something in the starter was hung up on something and kept turning over
Old 08-01-2008, 09:47 PM

I took off the Pulse, and its been working, but the chip is still working without the pulse. Guess I misunderstood what did what on the Adrenaline, but anyways, so far its been working. As far as the pulse buttons, did the alchohol, tried electrical contact spray, and nothing, doesnt work. Once in a whiile if I get lucky i can use the bottom button, but rarely.