24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Truck Still Jumping

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck Still Jumping

I posted yesterday about a problem with my 99 CTD 2WD with standard transmission. Truck started jumping as I would pull off or back up so I took out the clutch which was broken into pieces. I put a new clutch kit in and had the flywheel turned down about twenty thousands. Put it all together properly and I immediately realized that it was still jumping but not as bad of course. I drove it about two thousand miles and it seemed to get progressively worse. The main thing was it would jump real bad as I was letting out on the clutch in second gear or reverse. Not as bad in first gear. I took it back apart and replaced everything all over again with parts from a well known clutch and brake place local to me. They touched up the flywheel again also. Put it all back together and dammed if it don't do the same thing. Hanger bearing and rear u-joint are good and tight, the rubber mount on the transmission is good. The only thing I know to check now is the motor mounts. Can someone please tell me the best way to do that? Any other advice would be highly appreciated. Sonny
Old 06-15-2006, 08:53 PM
Banned

Possibly a throwout bearing or something like that? Bad clutch hydrualics? I have a hard time beliveing that it's something with the clutch considering that it's still happening after 2 clutches.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:09 AM

Possibly the pilot bushing, which is a small brass sleeve that is installed into the crankshaft and receives the manual transmission input shaft. This item is usually replaced when servicing the clutch. btw, the easiest way to remove is to pack the hole in the back of the crank with bearing grease and use a clutch alignment tool to push on the grease (which does not compress) to force the pilot busing out.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:32 AM

I assume it shifts O'K through the gears???
I assume you have critically checked the Ujoints and support??
I assume you have critically checked the support bushing???
I assume you would have noticed the pilot bushing and inspected/lubed???
I assume you would have replaced TO bearing as part of clutch service????
I assume you have sufficent knowledge to properlly align, install and tighten the flywheel, disc, and cover????
I assume you have inspected supports and they are not broken or bottomed out and still flexible????
Is the driveline properlly aligned or noticablly out of align? Tranny support out of position?
I have seem mis machined flywheels cause issues. Crapola covers and disc can easily cause.
I understand the frustration of doing the job correctlly and still have issues. Somewhere you are missing something and another knowledgable person might be able to spot for you. JMHO