24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Jumping Truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jumping Truck

Have a problem and need advice please. 1999 2500 five speed, truck started jumping when starting out both in forward and reverse. I took the transmission out and found that the clutch was fried. It was cracked in several places and springs started falling out when I unbolted the pressure plate. The pilot bearing had been from the factory the kind that have roller needles in it but all that was left was a paper thin outer housing of the pilot bearing and I had to use a sharp chisel to get it out. The end of the input shaft was damaged a little but I put it back in with a new clutch kit from AutoZone. When road testing it I noticed that it was still jumping as I would start out in second gear but only as long as I had my foot on the clutch to start out. Once in motion it smoothed right out so I took it up to Peoria, Il from Florida pulling a double axle trailer with a light load going north and then a heavy load for 300 miles to home. This jumping got progressively worse over the next couple of weeks but only as I had my foot on the clutch to start out, after I was in motion, no problem. I took the transmission back out this past Sunday and found that one river had come loose in the lining, otherwise all looked normal so I took the parts to Dothan, Al to Dothan Clutch and Brake. They said the clutch kit was too week and that it appeared to be something that would be used in a half ton gasser so I bought a new kit from them reccommended by them to be a good solid kit plus they said there never should have been a pilot bearing with the needles used so since that was what was in their kit I bought one off their shelf and had to turn it down on the lathe to fit. I put it all back together using a torque wrench on the pressure plate bolts and in a clockwise sequence starting at about ten oclock going around and around until I met the torque specs. Checked everything as it went back together and everything seemed to be like new including hanger bearing and u-joint. Took it on a test drive and it still jumps when starting out in second gear until after I get my foot off the clutch petal. Thistruck I bought new and it has 106,000 on it. WHAT IS WRONG????

Thanks, Sonny
Old 06-13-2006, 10:36 PM

Did you resurface the flywheel and use an alignment tool when installing the clutch?
Old 06-13-2006, 11:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nowhere in the post did you mention anything about re-surfacing the flywheel.

And if the old clutch was that bad, the flywheel was probably pretty rough.....see where I am going with this....
Old 06-14-2006, 12:29 AM

ditto.Flywheel?
Old 06-14-2006, 07:04 AM

Jumping Truck

Yes I had the flywheel turned the first time and the last time as well. The first time by a machinist with a machine where the flywheel is laid down with the face up to turn it. I believe that machine is special for flywheels only. The last time all parts including the transmission was taken to a big clutch and brake place in Dothan, Al. They also cleaned it up to make it perfect. The first time I put in a pilot bearing with the needle rollers in it but the clutch place said to never use one of those so we used the bronze one and the darn thing still jumps until I get my foot off the clutch when starting out in second gear. Sonny
Old 06-14-2006, 07:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
did you drop the tranny to do this or pull the engine? I know its not likely, but I have some old tranny mounts on my crossmember on my 76 chevy and sometimes, when I start out the tranny gets "wrap" and bucks a bit... try checking all the drivetrain mounts to get a solid foundation to troubleshoot from.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:28 AM

Jumping Truck

I pulled the transmission both times. Someone asked if I had used an alighning tool, yes I did both times. I checked everything I could think of both times like hanger bearing and u-joint. Everything seemed to be as good as new. This is a 2WD CTD 1999. Maybe someone else who has had this same problem will see this thread and help me out. I put about 2000 miles on the first new clutch kit by going to Peoria, Il from Florida and no miles on this last one yet. I just can't keep doing this $500.00 expense every month or so if ya know what I mean. Sonny
Old 06-14-2006, 08:10 AM

Do the transmission mounts, motor mounts and their attaching points on the frame all check out good? It's hard for me to visualize "jumping", but my F350 had a jerky "chatter" when releasing the clutch from a stop and it turned out to be a worn center carrier bearing on the drive shaft.

Good luck with it!
Old 06-14-2006, 11:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I see you did resurface the flywheel. Did the flywheel have a step cut on it? That is about a 5mm step up where the clutch disc sits. If it did it is possible that the machine shop didn't put one back. Seen this before. Get the lovely clutch chatter after very few miles when starting off. Check all mounts and the carrier bearing. You may have worn out the input shaft bearing with that needle bearing/pilot bearing problem. How much play did you have on the input shaft???? Did you check it. I have used a needle bearing once. Never again. Prefer the brass. Last longer with no maintenance. Have to lube the needle bearing once a year.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:17 PM

Jumping Truck

I do not believe that there was a step up on the flywheel. I did check the play in the input shaft but how would I know whether it is within tolerance or too loose? It did seem like a lot to me but a friend said he didn't think so. I called a Dodge Dealership and they wanted $530.00 for the shaft and $70.00 for the two bearings he mentioned and it would have taken a few days to get them to me so we thought to heck with it and put it back together. We thought sure it would be fine with a good clutch kit from the specialict shop but we were wrong.

I plan to try to figure a way to check the engine mounts. The transmission mount is okay, I checked that.

Keep the advice coming until we figure this mess out please.

Sonny
Old 06-14-2006, 01:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If the play was excessive it would of started to leak out the front seal of the tranny. (Around input shaft). Did you say you had some wear on the input shaft where it fits in the pilot bearing? How much? Could also be your problem. I hate a chattering clutch too. It drives me crazy.