24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Steering Brace Install Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Brace Install Problem

Anybody have a problem getting the bearing on the new pitman arm nut? Instructions say it will be a tight fit and necessary to "tap" on with a soft hammer, but jeez, this thing is a no go. Every thing squared up and straight, but seems the shaft is a few thousands too big. Even lapped with emery cloth, but only get it to go about 1/16th of an inch. Remove and see the contact area skinned to a mirror finish.

Just wondering if others have had the same problem and what the outcome was. I sent a mail to the vendor, but they have not responded in 24hrs. I really don't want to take this to the hydraulic press. The other kicker is if/when the bearing goes out, how do you remove the unit while it's on the truck if there is no room or place to attach a puller?

I guess I'll see what difference the Solid Steel 03 adj TB makes by itself first until this gets figured out. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-24-2009, 10:43 PM

I had no difficulties with the install on my '99 2WD, even though the nut/shaft thing had a little rust on it. I did have to grind off a little bit of one corner of it where it hit some part of the truck. Sorry, I don't remember which corner.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:05 PM

This kit came with a new pitman nut that has the extended shaft for the bearing to go over. Not steel, but some other alloy, almost like aluminum but I know it's not. It did fill up the emery cloth rather quickly though.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:36 AM

Hmmm. The shaft/nut in the kit I got was definately steel. Sorry, I don't have the manufacturer any more. I got the kit here: http://www.puredieselpower.com/catal...4x4-p-915.html
I would be concerned about the aparent softness of the stabilizer nut/shaft in the setup you bought. The torque spec. for that nut is 185 ft/lbs, and if the piece you have is as soft as it sounds it is, I would worry about it stripping out when torqueing it down.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:42 AM

I purchased my DSS quite a few years ago when they first came out and had no problem with the bearing fitting. Something must have changed since then.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Grider Pirate
Hmmm. The shaft/nut in the kit I got was definately steel.
You were right, this one is steel. My fault. But as it turned out I mic'd it and it was about two thousands too big, which is why the bearing was skinning it to a mirror finish. A lot of lapping and I finally got it on, but still lies the question as to how to take it off if and when the bearing fails, there's no way to attach a puller. Doesn't seem right after paying $$ for a product that's supposed to work right out of the box that the buyer has to go over it again

I didn't mention earlier, but since i'm on the subject, Solid Steel's '03 conversion bracket wasn't a first time fit either. In particular the hole you use to bolt up to the original track bar's attachment point. Quality control must have been asleep that day and didn't see the weld splatter in two places. The bolt would not pass through. I hated to have to break out the dremel and screw up the power coat, but gotta do what ya gotta do. And where you bolt the new '03 track bar to on the bracket was out of alignment. For the amount of money spent, there should be no faulty workmanship, but yet there was. Doesn't seem fair
Old 04-26-2009, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just put my PSC brace on yesterday and it went on smooth. Just gotta make sure the hex screws are unscrewed to get the bearing on. Maybe SSI is going downhill in quality control or they put the wrong bearing in the kit....
Old 04-27-2009, 04:46 PM

They finally got back to me, said I must have had one get passed QC. Sending out replacement nut ( test fitted ) ASAP. Also that no puller should be needed for removal, as is supposed to be slip fit.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:37 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I assembled mine with anti seize in case it rusts on. As for removal I seem to think it would be possible to remove the nut and bearing assy together then pound it out in a vice.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:43 AM

FFMike,

I sent you a PM.

Joe