24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Silent Recall/Injector Pumps

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silent Recall/Injector Pumps

A freind of mine is a Cummins dealer in NM and mentioned to me last nite that there was a silent recall and update kit for the Cummins engine injector pump. Out of pocket costs were around 300 bucks, but dealership were suppose to make changes under factory silent recall.

Anyone had this work done already and whats the scoop?
Old 05-31-2006, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by azdodge
A freind of mine is a Cummins dealer in NM and mentioned to me last nite that there was a silent recall and update kit for the Cummins engine injector pump. Out of pocket costs were around 300 bucks, but dealership were suppose to make changes under factory silent recall.

Anyone had this work done already and whats the scoop?
Cummins has a campaign but not chrysler.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:02 PM

I called Tempe Dodge in Tempe AZ and they have not heard of this or any recall on my 2006
Old 05-31-2006, 10:38 PM

That's why its called a "silent recall"

Its called a silent recall because dealers don't want to do the paperwork, nor pay for the repair. Silent recalls have always been a pain with Dodge, even as far back as my Dodge Daytona that had tranny problems like all the rest which they denied were problematic.

Those trannys cost Dodge millions in warranty silent recalls for having no problems.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sgt. Peper
I called Tempe Dodge in Tempe AZ and they have not heard of this or any recall on my 2006

Just to get you up to speed, azdodge is talking about the VP 44 injection pump in the 2nd Gen Cummins. You've got a CP3 Common Rail Injection Pump in you 3rd Gen '06.

...................Jim
Old 06-01-2006, 12:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by azdodge
Its called a silent recall because dealers don't want to do the paperwork, nor pay for the repair. .
Dealers don't pay for the repair under warranty. We GET paid by DC to do warranty.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by J BODY
Dealers don't pay for the repair under warranty. We GET paid by DC to do warranty.
But the trick is to get DC to honor the warranty in the first place!

DC knows there is a problem with the 2nd Gen trucks but will not admit it out loud. Most of the 2nd Gen stuff is finished with their warranties ( I have about 2K miles left) so you know they are not going to jump very high when it comes to fixing anything on their dime.

Jeff
Old 06-01-2006, 06:43 AM

Any one have more details about the recall and updates.... Truck is going to the dealership tomorrow morning for VP44 warranty work..... thanks
Old 06-01-2006, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those trannys cost Dodge millions in warranty silent recalls for having no problems.
Where do you get this silent recall BS. I worked at a dealership from 1971 to 2002 and there is no such thing. I am in constant contact with my dealer as i lease to him the building and land. If there was a recall i should know. A recall is common information and a great deal of the time prompted by the government or consumer groups. Most of the time the public reads and sees it in the paper before the dealer has and information. So put you silent recall to rest. There has been going on 5 years of new prodiction without the vp44 and i would say a recall is highly unlikely.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Homestead
But the trick is to get DC to honor the warranty in the first place!

DC knows there is a problem with the 2nd Gen trucks but will not admit it out loud. Most of the 2nd Gen stuff is finished with their warranties ( I have about 2K miles left) so you know they are not going to jump very high when it comes to fixing anything on their dime.

Jeff

DC knows there's a problem, the RV industry knows there is a problem, HD equipment knows there's a problem. It's just another one of those things that smelled like a rose when they (DC) bought them, and turned to stink later. I'm sure somewhere at DC there is probably a calendar with a big red X when the last VP goes out of warranty. I know that pos has cost them alot of $$$ over the years. It's just too bad someone at Boschturd couldn't have gone back to the drawing board and engineered a little better more dependable pump.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:04 AM

I got to thinking about this silent recall thing. I wonder if azdodge is talking about something similar to the 53 block epidemic.

When my 53 cracked at 115K, DC told me to take it to the dealer and have them check it out. So I did, and they told me my block was cracked........Duh!!! .

So I went back and forth with DC asking why did I just spend $85 to tell me what I already know and then turn around and tell me it's out of warranty , take a hike.

So when I started asking around about what to do, the guys at BD Performance told me to talk to Ken Scobel at Cummins.

Thats when things got weird. When I told him my name he already knew about my truck and gave me an offer of splitting the cost to replace the block. He said that was the best he would do even when I told him I had heard of earlier accounts of full repair of 53 blocks out of warranty. He said I should take the deal and there would be no paperwork as to a diagnosis of the failure and I would not be getting the block back....PERIOD!!

So is that considered a silent recall ?...................Maybe

............Jim
Old 06-05-2006, 08:33 AM

No....that would have been a parts supplier standing behind the product THEY produced....it would be like if Boschturd would suddenly say "you know what? our VP's kind of suck so we'll cover the pumps for a longer timeframe". There are no silent recalls.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:41 AM

Yeeeeeesh ! I just rolled past 100,000 miles this last saturday ! I guess that is poetic justice and now the fun begins. Where's the bombadier ?
Old 06-05-2006, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lurch519
Yeeeeeesh ! I just rolled past 100,000 miles this last saturday ! I guess that is poetic justice and now the fun begins. Where's the bombadier ?
Newest member of the 2K club. That will cover the towing, pump, labor, night at the motel.