24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

New Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Problem

OK, I'm fairly certain my cluth is slipping, Link to That Thread , now this.

At times when I start to accelerate there is no response from the engine. It doesn't sputter or cut out like when the original lift pump and VP44 both went out. It keeps running at the same speed, but won't accelerate. Sort of like there is a 'governor' on the engine. It doesn't do this all of the time and it seems to me that it occurs when the outside temperature is high. It is most noticeable on my 20 mile daily drive home from work in the late afternoon, when the temp is high, about half-way into the drive home. Before I get home it starts accelerating fine (except for the clutch slippage). I don't seem to notice this at all on my morning drive or if the temp is lower later during the day.

I just recently changed the fuel filter and do change it on a regular basis. And checking with my test gauge post filter shows the fuel pressure to be OK. As I said, this is my 2nd VP44 and lift pump. The originals were replaced by the dealer right at 100,000 miles. Thankfully they were covered under warrranty. Anyone have ideas about what could be causing this?

CR
Old 07-22-2005, 12:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Problem

If it want take fuel it might be your APPS. Accelarator Pedal Positioing Sensor.
I don't know the Reset proceidure on your truck but if like mine turn key
off and on 3 times and the 4th time hold accelarator to floor and start let up slow.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:30 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
APPS reset procedure is in the tech facts section.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...n&onlynewfaq=1
Old 12-30-2005, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, finally bit the bullet and stopped by Auto Zone to have the codes pulled. Sure enough, the dreaded 1693 and 0216 codes. Thing is, since the weather had gotten cooler the truck had been running great. But with the warmer days we're having right now, I've gotten the dead pedal a few times. After I get the clutch replaced next week, guess I'll start saving for a new VP-44. What's the latest on the new & improved IP's from Blue Chip Diesel with the Fed Ex electronics? Have they been out long enough to be able to tell how well they are lasting? I wouldn't mind saving a little more to get one of those if I could depend on it to outlast the old type. But I would hate to pay more just to have to replace it like I am this one. By the way, this is my second one to go out. First one lasted until about 110K. This one only lasted about 70K before I started getting the intermittent dead pedal. Also, fuel pressure still shows to be OK.

CR