24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

New Walbro and new problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Walbro and new problem

OK. I got the Walbro pump and big line kit and I wired it to the stock transfer pump wires with the harness extension that came with the big line kit. I bled the lines at the injection pump until there was no air and then let pressure build up again, but it wouldn't start. I decided to bleed some pressure off at the injection pump with the key off and when I tried to start it, it started. If I turn it off and then try to start it again, it will not. The only way to get it to start again is to bleed off pressure at the injection pump before I start it. I haven't driven it yet because my fuel isolater is leaking and I can't get it so stop, but it runs and revs fine when I finally do get it started. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge plumbed yet because someone stole it off of my garage bench, and I had to order a new one What is the deal, does the Walbro need a pressure regulator? In desperate need of some advise
Old 07-12-2007, 01:55 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
The walbro kit normally comes with a return line regulator, to bring the pressure down into the 15 - 18 range. if you do not have the pump regulated, you are setting yourself up for some serious problems.

Check out glacier diesel's website to see the regulator I am talking about. With it on there, no starting issues, and good solid fuel pressure.

good luck
Old 07-12-2007, 09:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you do not have a return line from the Walbro using some sort of bypass regulator or relief valve, you are sending 100+ psi to the VP44 at idle and during cranking. If this is how you plumbed your fuel system, your IP's rotor may seize and it will be very expensive. Make sure you are not sending more than about 20 psi to the VP44 at idle. I don't think running a high performance LP without a pressure gauge is a good idea anyway, hopefully you get yours soon.
-P