3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Update on Voltage Problem and a new problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update on Voltage Problem and a new problem

Ok guys i finally found out after a while of being under the truck and replacing different parts here is what was causing my voltage problems.

Back story first. Periodically from day to day my truck would just be dead, no voltage in the batteries, after a good previous day, no signs that this was happening or going to happen. We would jump the truck off and it would be great for a week or two then it would happen again, and again and so on. I took the truck into the shop and they had the alternator rebuilt saying that hid had a bad spot in it that could have shorted out the system in a random way. A month went by and all was well until day before last when the truck was dead again, so i took the alternator off that didn't fix it. So i charged the batteries and then connected them back to the truck, and starting chasing the direct draw on the truck. I isolated it to the starter, it would drain the batteries from a full charge to nothing in under 5 minutes. So after we disconnected the starter all was well the system would hold its charge. as i was about to remove the starter i noticed something just wasn't right, the insert that supplies fuel to an injector was lodged inbetween the main power line that supplies the starter and the engine. ( I had the injectors replaced in december, electrical problems started first of january ) So after i removed this piece we reconnected everything and the draw was gone. I started the truck, drove it 5 miles and my voltage guage dropped to 0 and showed to charge, i drove back to our shop, through a volt meter on the batteries sure enough another draw was taking place. We immediatly removed the starter again, nope that was the draw, next the alternator, nope wasn't it. Then we started pulling the main fuses first, one by one the were not causing the draw until we came across lucky number 7. The 40amp power seat fuse, i removed it all the draw stopped. The thing is, on my 05 crew dully diesel, i don't have power seats. So we charged the batteries all the way up, fired off the truck, everything is running great, full charge off of the alternator, and everything is working.

So why was that fuse even in there, and why is that line hot when if the truck came without power seats that line is supposed to be dead.

jason
Old 07-05-2008, 05:49 AM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
I would find another shop sounds like a bunch of hacks. They dropped your HPC couldn't find it so put new one. Then installed a fuse where there shouldn't be a fuse (no power seats). Discharging a battery in 5 minutes is one hell of a short, surprised battery didn't explode or wiring catch fire. The alt went out becaues it was trying to keep your shorted battery charged.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sahbahdoo
So why was that fuse even in there, and why is that line hot when if the truck came without power seats that line is supposed to be dead.
I would more want to know where that line goes that is causing the current flow. Even with the fuse in it should not be drawing any current.