24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

New FASS DDRP

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New FASS DDRP

Today I got my new DDRP by FASS installed. I can't say it was a lot fun, but I sure am glad it's in. I purchased it from Thoroughbred Diesel and they had it here in a couple of days.

Removing the old Carter campaign pump was relatively easy. Putting the DDRP in was a little difficult because it is heavier and there really is only enough space to get one hand in there. So where you really would like to have 3 hands to hold and twist, I had to just let one hand try to do most of the work. Hardest task for me was to get the inlet banjo bolt started. I just laid the new pump on top of the starter, so that I could maneuver the hose with my left hand.

I put this pump in to solve an old problem I've had of the low pressure idiot light blinking. I was really worried that my lift pump was marginal and going out soon. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t-t219399.html While the situation would improve if I put a new filter in, eventually the low pressure "blinks" would increase.

One thing - when I took the inlet hose banjo bolt off the old pump, it was not torqued to what I would like it to be. It was not loose, but it was easy to turn the wrench. I wonder if the old pump was sucking air and causing the low pressure dips?

Now everything is good. No blinks. I can feel the difference in the engine at cruise. With a four year warranty I should be good for a while.
Attached Thumbnails New FASS DDRP-img_1212.jpg   New FASS DDRP-img_1213.jpg   New FASS DDRP-img_1214.jpg   New FASS DDRP-img_1215.jpg  
Old 06-11-2010, 05:05 AM

I have been pleased with mine.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:07 AM

small tip, when working on LP remove two bolts holding filter canister, this allows you to move canister to the side to replace pump, and give lots of room to work
Old 06-11-2010, 07:41 PM

what pressure do you show at idle?
Old 06-12-2010, 11:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TankerIP

Removing the old Carter campaign pump was relatively easy. Putting the DDRP in was a little difficult because it is heavier and there really is only enough space to get one hand in there. So where you really would like to have 3 hands to hold and twist, I had to just let one hand try to do most of the work. Hardest task for me was to get the inlet banjo bolt started. I just laid the new pump on top of the starter, so that I could maneuver the hose with my left hand.
Mount it on the frame in front of the fuel tank, its much easier.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Copenhagenjunkie
Mount it on the frame in front of the fuel tank, its much easier.
I've seen many posts about frame mounting pumps. This seems tough for someone with my limited abilities to do. First I would have to find a way to mount it. I haven't seen any frame mounts that fit the DDRP/OEM pumps. Then I would have to figure out how to get that mount on to the frame. Wiring would have to be extended to the rear and secured (strapped) to the frame. Also, I would then have to splice the fuel line. The current fuel line won't stretch to the filter housing, so I guess I would have to buy a whole new line from back to front. All this, and then I would have to do it laying on the ground. I don't have a shop or lift. Is it really easier?

It might be an option, but someone needs to market the frame mount kit for the DDRP with simple to follow instructions.

On the other hand, that's why I bought the DDRP because it is form fit for the stock pump. If I thought it would be easy to tackle the frame mount, I might have considered airdog or one of the other options out there.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by southerman
what pressure do you show at idle?
I don't have a pressure gauge - just the idiot light. Since before I had some "blinks" in the light and none now, I know I have above the minimum pressure.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:46 PM

oh ok then was just going to suggest to mount on frame i get 18 psi at idle
Old 06-12-2010, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TankerIP
I've seen many posts about frame mounting pumps. This seems tough for someone with my limited abilities to do. First I would have to find a way to mount it. I haven't seen any frame mounts that fit the DDRP/OEM pumps. Then I would have to figure out how to get that mount on to the frame. Wiring would have to be extended to the rear and secured (strapped) to the frame. Also, I would then have to splice the fuel line. The current fuel line won't stretch to the filter housing, so I guess I would have to buy a whole new line from back to front. All this, and then I would have to do it laying on the ground. I don't have a shop or lift. Is it really easier?

It might be an option, but someone needs to market the frame mount kit for the DDRP with simple to follow instructions.

On the other hand, that's why I bought the DDRP because it is form fit for the stock pump. If I thought it would be easy to tackle the frame mount, I might have considered airdog or one of the other options out there.
http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/pr..._id=RP-100-D24

This is very similar if not just like ddrp with fass sticker, buy an lp relocation and big line kit. The lp relocation kit comes with wiring but you would need to get a $4 relay.

Not harping on you, just letting you know that there are kits available and it's much easier to work on your back with ample space on the frame than the crowded engine compartment.

FWIW,You should probably also trigger the ddrp from a relay and not directly from stock wiring. I'm not familar with the ddrp wiring.

HTH.
Attached Thumbnails New FASS DDRP-raptor-fuel-pump.jpg