24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

My exhaust sounds like a PS..

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My exhaust sounds like a PS..

After I added my TST COMP and get to a certain RPM, Boost and Fueling my exhaust sounds like a straight piped Powerstroke. You know that loud crackling noise they make...well mine starts to sound like that. Is this normal, or could this be caused by valve overlap maybe?
Old 09-11-2009, 01:56 AM

On my juice on level 5 itll rumble yer inyards when you get on it.. Not like a powerjoke either. I dunno its unique and I love it.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:09 PM

Maybe it's just my stack, but all the vids I've watched on youtube, etc have a nice constant rumble. Where as my truck, once I get to a certain point it's like a light switch is turned on and the exhaust beings to like pulse/ping.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:01 PM

I have almost the same set up and mine sounds good and once and awhile when I really hit it 2500 rpms etc I can hear what your saying but this is what I hear in the cab and not what is sounds like on the outside if this makes sense.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:24 PM

Yea it's not until the higher RPM's. I've had my rear window open while hauling on it and I can hear it. I'll have to let someone take it down my road someday and so I can listen to it from a distance. It just worries me that something isn't right.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:58 AM

It's telling you that too much timing is present and that it's life expendancy is being comprimised.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:59 PM

Well I just went out and put my smarty to #2, which is more fuel and boost fooling. In the Revo software I have the timing set to default. So with no timing from the Smarty, and having my TST Comp on level 6. I can still get it to crackle once I get in the higher RPMs, boost and fueling.

Granted this time I had the windows down...and it seemed like it was hardly there. I put my windows up and made another run this time only on level 4 and it sounded worse...not even full throttle. I'm going to get a friend to take it down the road tonight or sometime soon and I'll stand back and listen. I'm wondering if the resonating and bouncing off the cab is the reason I'm hearing what I'm hearing.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:11 AM

does your stack attach to the bed rail at all. check to see if any parts or you 90 elbow hasnt moved and is rubbing on anything. these would cause a weird drone, crackle, buzz, alot of different made up sounds pending how is explaining. etc. just do a good check. does the truck do it in park or neutral brought up to 22-2500 rpms. crawl around when someone does this. this should help rule out exhaust at least
Old 09-14-2009, 12:54 PM

I'll probably check it out on the weekend. That is a good point though, I'll see if it does it in neutral. Cause if it was a timing issue it would do it in neutral as well.

There has always been something loose towards the box when I hit bumps, haven't been able to trace it yet. But that might have something to do with it. While I was hauling on it yesterday I was watching my stack and it was shacking like crazy.

Thanks for the help guys!