24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

My brakes suck.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My brakes suck, any info on good upgrades?

I bought a Nissan Frontier to run around in, and after getting back in the Dodge I realize how bad my brakes really are. I have put new pads on it (highest $ ones from NAPA), but they didn't help. I know it needs new rotors (glazed and cracks), but are any of the high end aftermarket companies making a reasonable priced product for our trucks? Should I use there pads also? I have seen ads for some aftermarket performance stuff, just don't have any feedback on their products. My 01 has rear drums. I used to put 1ton wheel cylinders on my 12 valve drums, did Dodge ever upgrade these on later trucks? Thanks
Old 09-11-2007, 08:02 AM

as a courier, I too tried different pads, (high end ones) the only ones that stop good are factory pads (yep it is unbelievable) also make sure the rear brakes are adjusted properly, I've read that the larger brake cyl does help. that will be my next project. I made my rear load prop valve rod adjustable I've lengthened it one inch and I need to lengthen it more until I can get the rear brakes to grab then, I''ll back it down, all it does is fool the brakes into allowing more brakes to the rear shoes, same as larger wheel cylinders, just more adjustable
Old 09-11-2007, 08:25 AM

i use powerslot cryoed and slotted rotors with hawk pads. they are one of the best upgrades i have done.. no more smoking brakes, great even pad wear and they stop great. i got mine from Diesel Performance Parts. http://www.dieselperformanceparts.com/ and they dont cost much more than stock replacements.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
I got my stuff from www.tirerack.com

I bought the Brembo rotors (dang good rotors IMO) and OEM pads. Stops great now.

BTW when you put the wheels back on use a torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts. Even torque will prevent the rotor from warping and pedal flutter.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:50 PM

Make sure your rear drums are adjusted up. I have to adjust mine at least twice a year. It makes a world of difference. If your E-brake pedal is getting low they most likely need adjusting.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by westexhunt
I bought a Nissan Frontier to run around in, and after getting back in the Dodge I realize how bad my brakes really are. I have put new pads on it (highest $ ones from NAPA), but they didn't help. I know it needs new rotors (glazed and cracks), but are any of the high end aftermarket companies making a reasonable priced product for our trucks? Should I use there pads also? I have seen ads for some aftermarket performance stuff, just don't have any feedback on their products. My 01 has rear drums. I used to put 1ton wheel cylinders on my 12 valve drums, did Dodge ever upgrade these on later trucks? Thanks
Is yours an 01.5 or an 01? ie. rear drums or disks. Mine stops very well with the rear disks. Of course whenever you get into something light to run around in, these trucks are heavy and does take a little more to get them stopped. Brembo or Powerslot rotors will help from what I've read (I'm still stock). Pads are trickier in my opinion but I've been running performance friction carbon metallic. Seem to work well for me.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:20 PM

Good stuff.

Thanks for the input. I like the price on the Brembo rotors. Is it okay to change rotors and keep your old pads? These are only a couple months old. Is it advisable to clean up the pads with an emory cloth and then clean with brake clean?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:29 PM

Thanks for the input. I like the price on the Brembo rotors. Is it okay to change rotors and keep your old pads? These are only a couple months old. Is it advisable to clean up the pads with an emory cloth and then clean with brake clean?
you can do that, just make sure you scuff up the pads to get any glazed material off.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:20 AM

I use a 3M scotch brite disc on my high-speed die grinder to roughen my brake rotors every time I change pads. I use the brown colored scotch brites and they get rid of the shiny glaze in a hurry. I turn the rotor by hand while running the high-speed. So far I haven't had to replace or even turn a rotor before it was time... Just my two cents here...
Old 09-12-2007, 07:21 AM

I've never read that it is ok to re-use old pads with new rotors. The reason is that the pads break in to the old rotors and conform to the imperfections of the old rotors. Now I'm sure you "can" do it, but if your going to spend the money on new high perfomance rotors and you're trying to improve braking performance, you are going to want new pads and break them in properly to the new rotors. If you are going to do it, do it right the first time. That way you won't be sorry down the road. Those are my thoughts on it anyway.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:37 AM

I put new pads on the front even though the old ones were still very good. All that happened is that the fronts lock up quicker now. I regularly adjust the rears and the fronts still lock way too easily. With a trailer the combination seems much better. It's like the proportioning valve is not letting enough pressure to the rear brakes when the truck is unloaded. It's really hard to lock the rear brakes. I know that locking the rear first is not a good thing unless you like doing donuts. But it would be nice if the rears were a bit more effective. This is probably why the chev wheel cyl seem to work better. Being larger pistons they apply harder with lower pressure.

I don't have the adjustable rear valve that some do.

I guess it time for the conversion.