24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Modifying the factory air box

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Modifying the factory air box

Gary, the holes at the back of that boot. Are they facing up or down, and can the boot be removed to facilitate drilling or cutting larger holes?
Old 11-25-2002, 11:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it's worth......<br><br>Dyno tests have shown the stock air box doesn't restrict performance until over 500 hp, even with a stock filter. The rubber boot can sometimes collapse, but can be removed if desired. Joe Donnelly ran a stock box and filter to over 600 hp. The folks at TST recommend removing the rubber as the only modification necessary to a stock air box.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:54 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't think the factory box is good for much over stock...Joe just happened to be using it and was happy with that.<br>I think he may have changed that now. I doubt theres a HP gain by altering any air box...at least on a dyno but I bet there is out there in the real world on the road dragging a heavy load. The true test to all products isn't so much what a dyno says, its more about how well it works for each individuals preferred combination in the real world. Of course a baseline is nice from a dyno and then we get into the debates of the dynos and thats like air filters, transmissions, Grills etc. <br><br>Eh
Old 11-26-2002, 01:42 PM

just to add to Scotty's comments. just because a dyno shows x horsepower doesn't mean you can sustain that level on a hard pull while keeping EGTs within limits. Air Intake and exhaust upgrades are not known for HP gains, but they are known to enable more useful horsepower for towing.
Old 11-26-2002, 02:08 PM
Top's Younger Twin

[quote author=Doug link=board=4;threadid=7471;start=15#72734 date=1038339754]
just to add to Scotty's comments. just because a dyno shows x horsepower doesn't mean you can sustain that level on a hard pull while keeping EGTs within limits. Air Intake and exhaust upgrades are not known for HP gains, but they are known to enable more useful horsepower for towing.
[/quote]
That sounds about right Doug. ;D
Also, when we dyno'd different air intake systems we had a few changes in the HP that was generated...no more then 7 HP and we concluded that to be either the operation of the dyno or how the throttle was applied etc. Kind of a wash on what really gave those 7HP...one can change the results on a dyno fairly easy by having a different operator etc.
Seat of the pants works good.

Another issue with egt is whether or not there is a leak in the intercooler [cracks are more common then most would believe], if theres an internal head gasket leak thats not showing any tell tale signs externally can effect boost, heat as well as fuel, fuel dleivery etc etc.
I actually gained 6 psi from changing and o-ringing my head and gasket with the same power mods! This tells me I obviously had a defective head gasket since it was either new or right after I swapped out the injectors as my boost was on par with what other folks had with similar combinations on an ETH. It was all very gradual til nimber 1 let go at the front. I had five areas of leakage...I think the hairlines between 3/4 and 4/5 were there for a loooong time. So far I do not have any leaking. so far. LOL

Old 11-30-2002, 12:08 PM

I just bought an AFE filter for the stock air box. I will see how it does without cutting any holes in the box. Then I will cut some holes in the box like Gary did &amp; see how that works.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:31 AM

hey scotty, do you by chance have a disposable paper element for the scotty II yet? Or is the oiled AFE still the best bet? Since I don't have one (yet) this probably sounds like a dumb question, but I just wanted to know whats the trick to servicing that filter to make sure its done right.<br><br>and, regarding the stock intake boot -- is that piece used or not with the scotty II?
Old 12-02-2002, 12:02 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Sorry, no paper filter that works...lots of money for start up too.<br>The stock boot is not used as the hush inlet that goes to the factory fender inlet sits right at the hole.<br><br>