24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

lift pump vs. the *******

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:lift pump vs. the *******

[quote author=dodgeram link=board=4;threadid=9035;start=0#87276 date=1041519815]<br>I discovered my lift pump was bad when I put my gauges on...<br><br>after the ordeal I just went through the day before getting my cold weather flash done, I just paid for the pump out of pocket and changed it myself<br><br>you could walk into a dealer with the guage reading 0 at idle and I'm sure they'd still look at you and say &quot;well how do you know it's a bad pump...it still runs ok&quot; <br><br><br><br><br><br><br> There's still some good Dealers out there, they replaced mine when it was reading 10 psi at idle and 4 psi @ WOT.<br><br><br>[/quote]
Old 01-05-2003, 07:27 AM

UPDATE:<br><br>Went to dealership, installed MY combo vac. / fuel pressure gauge. Hooked into port on top of fuel filter housing. Started truck, gauge went to 4&quot; vacuum ( as I already knew it would ) ;D. <br><br>Went inside, invited service manager to come take a look. Hmmmmm, ha said, didn't know it would run with a bad lift pump. Mechanic that certified this truck to be AOK 2 days earlier was unavailabe. Service manager advises they will re-evaluate the situation, call me next morning. ???<br><br>Now on Sat. a.m. I guess the dealer forgot to call me Friday as I had requested. Sooooooooooo..... I made yet another trip there, I see my truck is in the service bay ... <br><br>Service writer advises me my gauges were faulty, &gt; they had to re-test with theirs and it does show some pressure (ya right !!!), but, they have decided to change the pump. <br><br>Wonder why they are now going to change the pump if my gauges were not accurate. Now I wait till Monday when the pump is supposed to be there, they could of ordered it a nearly a week ago but nooooo! :'(<br><br>Well the fat lady, I'm hoping, will sing then, the saga continues ... <br><br>p.s. The test gauge I used was a combination vaccum and pressure gauge, and while there would be a certain tolerance for error, as with any gauge, IM PRETTY SURE IT KNOWS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PRESSURE OR VACCUM
Old 01-05-2003, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but you could have been done with this days ago if you'd gotton the pump from Cummins and installed it on your own. Seems like you know your stuff from what you're saying. I don't know why you'd trust this dealer at this point. Lift pumps under warranty are about a 50% chance anyway. MANY dealers do not warranty those pumps past 36k miles.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:33 PM

[quote author=Jack Thorpe link=board=4;threadid=9035;start=15#88524 date=1041778507]<br>I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but you could have been done with this days ago if you'd gotton the pump from Cummins and installed it on your own. Seems like you know your stuff from what you're saying. I don't know why you'd trust this dealer at this point. Lift pumps under warranty are about a 50% chance anyway. MANY dealers do not warranty those pumps past 36k miles. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Yea, call me wet behind the ears, naive, green, whatever …. Hindsight is always better that foresight for me anyway. I kept thinking “how difficult could this be” and hated to leave $150 or so on the table. ;D Also hated drive the truck anymore with bad LP. And they did tell me they would warranty it if bad. Tell you what though, come Monday if it’s not taken care of PROPERLY, maybe I’ll drive the dang thing in their blasted showroom and change it right there myself! &gt; That should be good for their public relations. By the way, my friend at the Cummins parts house told me where to take it next time for warranty work, I’ve learned my lesson, nuff said and boy am I sick of driving my old Ford!
Old 01-12-2003, 09:29 PM

Update, The Ram is home, new lift pump, cost $70.00. Dealer installed under warranty. Why I have to pay the $70, I have no idea! I think the idea is to take your truck ransom and yer gonna hafta pay sumpthin! At least it’s back and it’s not going to the dealer again. Scratch the warranty, I’ll do it myself.<br><br>In a previous post I told you I was going to have to take the dealer a gauge and show him I had no pressure, he had said “if it runs, it not the LP”. Well I did take my gauge, hooked it up myself, started the truck. The gauge goes from 0 psi (not running) to 4” vac. running.<br><br>Later the dealer calls to let me know my gauges are incorrect, but he will change the pump warranty because “it just has some pressure” he says. OK<br><br>Then, new twist, dealer calls again, says due to the huge amount of contaminates in the fuel system, STAR will not warrant pump. Packed full of rust and scale he tells me, this has ruined the LP and no warranty.<br><br>SO … back to the dealer I go, I’m trained now ya know, like a dog. Dealer has the pump partially disassembled on bench, I’m expecting to see a LP full of crap and am worrying now about what’s in my tank. Well, what a shock when I see the pump. So surprised I ran next door, bought a disposable camera and returned to take some pictures. See picture below. You can decide for yourself how “bad” it really is. This is the pump just as it came apart. Let’s just say I’m not worried about my tank now. I’ll have to pay for a pump he tells me.<br><br>Enough was enough, no since in going any further with the dealer. I’ll call the DC 1 800 # for one more effort to get the pump warranted. DC says can’t do much but I can pay for the repair now and he will set me up an appointment with district man later.<br><br>Called the dealer, told him I would pay his labor to date but please push the truck outside and I will pick the pump up at Cummins and put it on myself. OK he says.<br><br>Well, I’ve got my service truck loaded and ready to go when the phone starts ringing, a flurry of calls during the dinner hour and before it’s all over I’m told they have decided to “run the claim through again” and they now think DC will pay. You can pick the truck up this eve. <br><br>I did, had to pay the $70 bucks for some reason, but hey, I’M OUTTA THERE!!!! FINALLY!<br><br>BTW look real close at the screen. There is a discolored spot, about the size of pencil eraser. Apparently that constitutes the large amount of contaminates that plugged and ruined this pump.<br><br><br><br>
Old 01-12-2003, 11:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

99 Guy,<br>Please post bigger pics or post a link to them. I would like to look closer, plus I haven't seen the guts of these lift pumps before.<br><br>And I'd still yell at the biggest DC rep you can get a hold of. They shouldn't have charged you a dime for that. As I said in a previous post, they bought my towing and all the labor on my dead lift pump.<br><br>Sorry you have had so much trouble. If you do get to talk to DC, you should tell them the whole story. I don't know if it will make any difference, but you can vent.<br><br>Chris
Old 01-13-2003, 07:28 PM

Stamey, here’s another pic. The pump is not in my possession, dealer told me he would have to send it in. Would have loved to kept it to see what really happened. I do know that on the truck the pump was not turning at all and was receiving voltage. Motor? Drive? We’ll never know ….. :-X<br><br>
Old 01-13-2003, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the pics.<br>I doubt that that little spec could have clogged the pump so it wouldn't work. Are you sure they didn't put it there for you to see? I wouldn't put it past them.<br><br>Once you cool down from this a little, you may want to go ahead and put your aftermarket pump on it. See the discussions on this in the Aftermarket forum.<br><br>Chris
Old 01-14-2003, 04:57 PM
keh

You can find all the &quot;magic words&quot; if you get your hands on the &quot;real&quot; TSBs.<br>I get mine from &quot;alldata.com.&quot; (I had them form my '94 5.9 RAM), but you have to pay for them. <br>I'm getting close to purchasing them form my '01 CTD RAM as I'm at 25k of the 30k waranty. <br>Sections actually exist that say, &quot;If the customer reports this 'XXXXX', then waranty the work, otherwise it's non-waranty&quot;
Old 01-14-2003, 07:17 PM

[quote author=keh link=board=4;threadid=9035;start=15#92058 date=1042585053]
Sections actually exist that say, &quot;If the customer reports this 'XXXXX', then waranty the work, otherwise it's non-waranty&quot;
[/quote]

Yeah, I've heard that. &quot;Surge&quot; is a keyword, I think for lift pump replacement or injector pump replacement.

Chris
Old 01-14-2003, 08:19 PM

http://www.dodgeram.info/tsb/index.html<br><br>I don't know how quickly they turn up here after they go out on AllData, but there are TSBs listed for 2002 and 2003 models, so I think the lag isn't all that big.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:44 PM

&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;I would take that workorder back to the dealer and tell them to refund your $70.00. Warranty repairs means that you do not have to pay for the part or the labor to do the fix. They tried to soak you for the labor - go get your money back or get a lawyer. It really bothers me to see dealers doing this to people. I am a partsman at a dodge dealer and seeing BS like this makes me wanna scream. Never return to this dealer, find one that will treat you like a person.<br><br>PS - Sorry about the rant!!
Old 01-15-2003, 08:58 AM
Administrator

I tore my old one apart. The pump end was fine. SOmething must be going bad in the motor end somehow. Haven't tested it electricaly yet.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:28 PM

dieseldude4x4, had your old pump quit completely of just low pressure? Just curious. I know mine was not pumping at all but didn't get the pump so as to find the cause. Pump end looked fine. I think there is a plastic coupler that can fail too on the drive end. Like to know what you find when you get to it.