24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Just did the Chevy 1 ton wheel cylinder upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 09:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Danderson
I'm one of those that didn't feel much of a gain in braking.
My '98.5 2500 auto 4wd had decent brakes when new,stock 245's. 285's decreased the braking and adding an 1800# popup yielded scary freeway braking.
The one ton cylinders helped a dab and I did the Mopar TSB where you bypass the proportioning valve with vehicles that are constantly carrying a big load.
I had a DTT trans and added a Pacbrake. Finally decent stopping power.
My friend's got the same year with a NV5600 which has the Dana 80 rearend and that truck's always had pretty good brakes with the increase in brake components size.
Danderson, I have a 99 with automatic and plan to buy a slide in camper around 2000 lbs. I am very interested in purchasing a Pacbrake. I want to be in ultimate control for slowing my truck down when loaded down. Safety is #1 with me and I would like to find out more about installation details on installing an exhaust brake with an auto. Any additional items that need to be purchased separately?
Old 01-12-2018, 10:26 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Albino99
Danderson, I have a 99 with automatic and plan to buy a slide in camper around 2000 lbs. I am very interested in purchasing a Pacbrake. I want to be in ultimate control for slowing my truck down when loaded down. Safety is #1 with me and I would like to find out more about installation details on installing an exhaust brake with an auto. Any additional items that need to be purchased separately?
With the auto I had a Smart Controller from DTT. It automatically disengages the PacBrake when your speed drops.
You have the built trans so that's behind you.
I had the EB on my '98.5. Some guys have a manual smart switch that enables you to manually engage/disengage the EB.
I have a really good shop I use and will see what the latest and greatest way to go is. You might call around to rebuild shops or speak to the manufacturer about your goals. The Pacbrake really slows the rig down.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Danderson
With the auto I had a Smart Controller from DTT. It automatically disengages the PacBrake when your speed drops.
You have the built trans so that's behind you.
I had the EB on my '98.5. Some guys have a manual smart switch that enables you to manually engage/disengage the EB.
I have a really good shop I use and will see what the latest and greatest way to go is. You might call around to rebuild shops or speak to the manufacturer about your goals. The Pacbrake really slows the rig down.
Danderson, Thanks. I am currently looking at the PacBrake PRXB. It seems to have everything included in the kit, including a controller.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:17 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Albino99
Danderson, Thanks. I am currently looking at the PacBrake PRXB. It seems to have everything included in the kit, including a controller.
You'll love the Pacbrake. It instills confidence in an emergency braking situation. You look like you're on the right track. The 2nds still have the best styling IMO.