24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

HELP Black smoke

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 06:27 AM

Received 340 Likes on 239 Posts
HELP Black smoke "UPDATE" fixed

Good morning to all, I'm an avid first gen fan I have 3 an am lost in the land of electronic trucks, that said,
The wifes 98 24 valve has recently started blowing a lot of black smoke and seems to be losing power. the truck has a pac brake,edge eeze chip,5speed with 465000 miles of which shes put all but 79000 miles on it. turbo rebuilt about 2 years ago with new injectors. this thing is her baby. I did a pressure test on the boots and intercooler by unhooking them from the turbo and intake manifold, put a plug in both ends with a fitting on one to hook to the compressor put 40 psi and let it sit, no leaks, turbo is tight very minimal play. could the IP be starting to go bad(it was replaced at about 280000 miles) The only incident that I could think might cause some problems was about 2 months ago her GS pup was raising a little hell in the front seat and he hit the pac brake button turning it on, she called me said the truck was running hot and loosing power, I drove to meet her (she had driven about 12 miles) I listened to it, knew immediately the pac brake was on, I shut it off and it has been running fine ever since till now. Could that have caused damage to the injectors?
Old 07-17-2017, 12:43 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Have you double checked the pac brake is opening all the way open??

Turbo boost pressure reading?
Old 07-17-2017, 01:32 PM

Pacbrake is open and she doesn't have gauges
Old 07-18-2017, 04:20 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I guess I can take that darn pup off your hands if that will help keepin it from happening again......

Sounds like possible vp problems, check the diagnostic section on bluechipdiesel.com....
Old 07-18-2017, 05:20 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Do you have a vacuum or air pressure operated Pac Brake? Do you have it installed to come on instantly when you take your foot off the throttle or through the PCM with 3 sec delay?
Pac brakes require lubricating often with their lubricant, failure to lube it will result in slower operation and eventually sticking. If vacuum operated perhaps look for a vacuum leak resulting in slower operation. If installed to come on and go off instantly perhaps check the rigging of the throttle switch.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:59 AM

I guess I can take that darn pup off your hands if that will help keepin it from happening again......

Sounds like possible vp problems, check the diagnostic section on bluechipdiesel.com....
Sixslug, thanks for the offer on the pup but.... I will chick on bluechip, as I said I don't know a lot about the computer controlled trucks

Do you have a vacuum or air pressure operated Pac Brake? Do you have it installed to come on instantly when you take your foot off the throttle or through the PCM with 3 sec delay?
Pac brakes require lubricating often with their lubricant, failure to lube it will result in slower operation and eventually sticking. If vacuum operated perhaps look for a vacuum leak resulting in slower operation. If installed to come on and go off instantly perhaps check the rigging of the throttle switch.

Busboy, yes vac operated but on a switch on the shifter, as far as I can tell it is opening and closing as it always has.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:53 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Busboy, yes vac operated but on a switch on the shifter, as far as I can tell it is opening and closing as it always has.
If the shifter switch is turned on does it operate the instant you take your foot off the throttle or is there a 3 second delay. If instantly it has a throttle switch. My 2001 truck which I sold to a friend of my sons was recently having problems and my son thought it was the APPS or possibly the VP, I told him to check the throttle switch rigging and sure enough it had slipped out of adjustment, IF you have one it controls the exact moment the valve opens or closes.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:06 PM

There is no throttle switch it is on the as soon as you turn the switch on , no throttle safety switch. That's what started the problem in the first place. I was just wondering if having it on like it was could have damaged the injectors

Last edited by nonrev; 07-19-2017 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 07-22-2017, 06:27 PM

"update"

The problem is fixed but I sure feel kinda stupid turns out it was the exhaust manifold' its had a small crack in it for several years between the 3&4 cyls. when the pup turned the pac brake on (remember there is no throttle safety switch on this) and she drove it about 12 miles it must have super heated the manifold causing it to crack almost all the way around so it was not getting any boost. Now you ask yourselves did the dummy learn anything... YES #1 put safety switch on throttle #2 put gauges in the thing #3 keep pup in rear seat HAHA well 2 out of 3 aint bad
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (07-23-2017)