24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Have you ever heard of this ....

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you ever heard of this ....

My serpentine belt just simply "came off" ... ???
HO cummins, w/6spd
It had been raining that day but the engine did not appear wet. The belt didn't break but just came off. When it did, the tensioner pulley slammed against its built in stop so hard that it sheared that and the pulley continued traveling into the coolant reservoir and broke that too!
I replaced tensioner, and reservoir, put on a new belt and have gone 1600 miles.
Was this just my typical irish luck or has anyone ever heard of this before?
Thanks,Rev Ron
Old 10-03-2002, 05:07 PM

Re:Have you ever heard of this ....

Thats a new one for me. ??? Is your warranty up?
Old 10-03-2002, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know a guy that had a cat climb up in his truck motor, when he started it, well you know the rest. But it knocked the belt off and made a big mess and i mean a BIG mess. that's one cat that run out of it's nine lives
Old 10-03-2002, 11:11 PM
Banned

That's really odd. Never heard of that happening at all. Had a ferd throw a belt 4 or 5 times on us but it broke the belt (******* kept putting wrong size on come to find out).
Old 10-03-2002, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like your tensioner pulley possibly had a faulty bearing assembly. The A/C compressor is also a known cause for belts coming off due to it not being aligned with the other accessories on the belt.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:28 AM

Okie is right. Two things to check. Make sure the pulley itself has no play on the tensioner arm. Make sure the tensioner arm has no play.
Old 10-04-2002, 02:04 PM

Outstanding advice. I'll take a closer look at the old tensioner to see if I find any defects. I'll also steer clear of the kitty as I do in life! <br>Thanks for everyone's inputs.<br>The Rev
Old 10-04-2002, 02:29 PM

We just had a truck in here that was missing 2 out of the 4 bolts that hold on the A/C compressor. They are M8 x 100, and they are not listed at the dealers. They are a real PITA to get at. :-[
Old 10-06-2002, 09:40 PM

We drag race them and under a violent launch we loose them quiet often. most of them when the oil trap was not emptied on schedule and splash oil on the belt at the same time on launch. Good luck.
Old 10-06-2002, 10:33 PM

I replaced my serpentine belt for the first time at 74,000 miles simply because it was beginning to have a few hairlline checks on the interior, but no problems otherwise. Sounds to me like an alignment problem with one of the pulleys.

Red-rattler, had a neighbor in AZ who had one of those purty black kitty with white stripe crawl up onto his engine to keep warm one cold night. Big mistake, next morning he took off for work. Kitty awakened, didn't like the noisey ride, panicked and went the wrong direction, somehow got into the fan. Expired, but not before spreading an aroma throughout the engine compartment and adjacent regions including the interior of the truck.

Neighbor said it sounded like a dozen tomcats fightin under his hood. Had a terrible time cleaning up the mess. Steam cleaned the engine and under hood two or three times. Even then for several months when the got to running temp there was a faint reminder of how kitty made its mark.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:10 AM

[quote author=autotecsvc link=board=4;threadid=5540;start=0#49303 date=1033958446]<br>We drag race them and under a violent launch we loose them quiet often. most of them when the oil trap was not emptied on schedule and splash oil on the belt at the same time on launch. Good luck.<br>[/quote]<br>Boy you can tell I'm new to owning this truck ..... where and what is the &quot;oil trap&quot; ???? ???<br>
Old 10-07-2002, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a crankcase vent bottle in the front of your engine and oil will fill it up over time. It willalso overflow and get oil all over the place, Most peole move it down below the motor or like me and run a 3quarter heater hose down alongside the frame and leave the bottle off. You will not get the oil smells in the cabin as bad that way.