24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel pressure??????

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pressure gauge

Adding a fuel pressure gauge is an easy fix. If you want to do it cheap just go down to your nearest parts store, buy a fuel pressure gauge and a oil sending kit for a manual oil sending unit. Put a t on the fuel supply line just before it enters the fuel filter an install the line and gauge. you may have to get a little creative with the plumbing. Just keep as simple as possible. I have 4 dodge cummins'. 3 24 valve and 1 12 valve. I've been using this for several years and have had no problems.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:44 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Just an FYI, you want to read the fuel pressure "after" the fuel filter, not before. Because if the fuel filter plugs up then you'll know it. If you're reading before the filter then it could plug up solid and you'd never know it.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:11 AM

No argument here

I don't disagree with you on the location. but it might be easier plunbimg in on the back side of the stock pump. As for filters, I haven't had any problems. I run off quality diesel I buy for around a $ 1.00 gal. I don't run original lift pump or use original filter system. I've ran one 2001 Ram cummins for over 500,000 miles. It still runs, but somebody rearended me and totaled it out. I run another automatic to pull my boat and camper. I use one (6 sp) for work that I put around 60-70K miles a yr. on. I have a 12 valve that I haven't decided what I'm going to with yet. JUST FOR YOUR INFORMATION.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:40 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Just making the point.....thats all.

Not everyone gets their fuel from good reliable sources and not everyone can go for long periods of time without changing fuel filters either. I too run the factory fuel filter without problems but there's others who deal with all kinds of crud in the fuel system from either poor fuel supplies or condensation or whatever the reason.

So.....again, for anyone setting up a fuel pressure gauge, its best to plumb AFTER the fuel filter just so you know the "true" fuel pressure in relation to any restrictions placed by the filter.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:35 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Same here, post filter, pre vp. It's easier and cheaper, to put it in the right place first than replace the vp...
Old 03-01-2019, 06:36 PM

Question

I have a Schrader valve on the back of my fuel filter housing and I have a "idiot light" fuel pressure sensor mounted to the side of my VP44. At which spot should I ck pressure? I did it at the back of the fuel filter and was getting around 12-14 at idle. Dropped just a little when I reved the rpms.
​​​
Old 03-02-2019, 02:35 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
If your test port is on the outlet side of the filter it is OK to measure there- but reving without load is not going to show you the true situation- you need to check under load.

The closer to the pump the heavier the pressure pulses, so the longevity of the sensor close to the pump is not ideal. But a mechanical gauge will get broken much quicker than an electrical sender.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:31 AM

I took a look and the port on the back of the filter housing appears to be before the filter. So I think I'll take out the pressure sensor screwed into the inlet port at the VP44 and test there. Going to go ahead and replace the fuel filter as well just for good measure. Is the standard Oem filter OK or should I use some special high efficiency/high flow version?

​​​I'm mostly just trying to figure out if I have a pressure issue, a filter issue, or a warning light sender issue.
Tom

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM
If your test port is on the outlet side of the filter it is OK to measure there- but reving without load is not going to show you the true situation- you need to check under load.

The closer to the pump the heavier the pressure pulses, so the longevity of the sensor close to the pump is not ideal. But a mechanical gauge will get broken much quicker than an electrical sender.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:59 AM

If you can get your hands on some compressed air and a manometer (tire filler) you can test the sender and the light- take care that the sender unit has a ground connection if it is a single wire sender, apply air pressure to the sender (you may need to screw the sender into a bit of fuel hose to be able to pressurize it) and note at what pressure the light goes out.
Stock Fleetguard filter is what I would recommend.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:13 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Make sure you get the correct diesel rated filter...a gas filter will destroy your fuel system. They can come apart and clog everything down range with paper bits........
Old 03-03-2019, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM
If you can get your hands on some compressed air and a manometer (tire filler) you can test the sender and the light- take care that the sender unit has a ground connection if it is a single wire sender, apply air pressure to the sender (you may need to screw the sender into a bit of fuel hose to be able to pressurize it) and note at what pressure the light goes out.
Stock Fleetguard filter is what I would recommend.

​​​​​I was actually thinking I could use air pressure to test it. You said to make sure the sender has a ground connection if it's a single wire connection? Do you mean when testing? Not when it's installed, right, because it creates a ground if tripped which is what turns the light on. Hopefully that makes sense.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Make sure you get the correct diesel rated filter...a gas filter will destroy your fuel system. They can come apart and clog everything down range with paper bits........
I was just going to go with the Premium CarQuest filter from Advanced Auto (they only offer 1 filter for my truck, 2001 dodge 2500) because I have to order some things for my other car and I can get a Hella discount from them. Like 50% off.

Last edited by Chilidog; 03-03-2019 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 03-04-2019, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Chilidog
​​​​​I was actually thinking I could use air pressure to test it. You said to make sure the sender has a ground connection if it's a single wire connection? Do you mean when testing? Not when it's installed, right, because it creates a ground if tripped which is what turns the light on. Hopefully that makes sense.
Yep, i meant while testing.. forgetting the ground makes the light stay off. (DAMHIK)