24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel pressure??????

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pressure??????

Does anyone know where to check fuel pressure and what should fuel the pressure be? I do not have the original lift pump on th left side of the engine, I have the in the tank lift pump. Truck is a 1999 Ram 2500 CTD
Old 06-18-2010, 09:17 PM

Check your fuel pressure on top of your fuel filter housing. The port closest to you VP is outlet pressure (pressure after the fuel filter) check that one first. You should never go below 5psi at WOT & about 10-15psi at an idle.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:09 AM

You shouldnt just be checking fuel pressure - you need to have a guage mounted in the cab so you can monitor fuel pressure at all times. This is not like a gas engine where you can just check the fuel pressure. Most people will agree that the intank pump isnt very desirable....and you probably wont see enough fuel flow to adequately lube and cool the VP-44 with it.

Heres a pic of a fuel pressure guage install on a 99:

Name:  19529Gallery_Fuel_pressure_Hookup.jpg
Views: 15581
Size:  22.7 KB

And another:

Name:  99RamFPHookup1.jpg
Views: 23078
Size:  147.9 KB
Old 06-19-2010, 11:26 AM

Thanks, I know I should have a gauge on it, it's just something I haven't got around to. I just had to replace the VP44 and I wanted to check it and I am glad I did, it is only 7 psi at idle. I am also not happy with the intank pump, I changed it a few years ago because the return port on the top of tank rusted out and was leaking fuel everywhere. Dodge told me it was my only option so I had to replace it. I am think about going back to thew old style pump but my only concern is will I be able to draw fuel through that intank pump?
Old 06-19-2010, 11:40 AM

Dr. Evil your westach sending unit can you post a pic of the gauge in the cab?
Old 06-19-2010, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by mtkrauss
Thanks, I know I should have a gauge on it, it's just something I haven't got around to. I just had to replace the VP44 and I wanted to check it and I am glad I did, it is only 7 psi at idle. I am also not happy with the intank pump, I changed it a few years ago because the return port on the top of tank rusted out and was leaking fuel everywhere. Dodge told me it was my only option so I had to replace it. I am think about going back to thew old style pump but my only concern is will I be able to draw fuel through that intank pump?
First, that is not my install those are pics from other members here. I run a mechanical guage and in the cab it looks like this:

Name:  110_1839.jpg
Views: 8875
Size:  37.5 KB

Second, listeneing to anything Dodge says is a mistake. Even worse is taking it to Dodge to work on it.

If you had the guage installed you may have been able to save your old VP-44. Theres no excuse here - a fp guage can save you one or more VP-44's - and that is a lot of coin.

You need to drop the tank and pull the pump out, install a Vulcan Performance Drawstraw V or do the Jeep Liberty sender mod.

http://www.vulcanperformance.com/category-s/220.htm

If your return was rusted out look at this:

http://www.vulcanperformance.com/Dra...w-p/jlfmds.htm

Also, the OEM style lift pump mounted to the block isnt the best solution by any means. Look at upgrading it to get a much better pump thats going to last instead of the OEM Carter junk.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:43 AM

Okay you sold me on the draw straw V, now what do I do about the fuel line going from the tank to the lift pump. I plan on purchasing an aftermarket oem style lift pump from the place I bought my VP 44. I see the draw straw has a JIC fitting but the lift pump has that dog **** dorman fitting
Old 06-20-2010, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get new rubber diesel compatible lines and fittings from your draw straw supplier, and go all the way to the VP and eliminate ALL the banjo fittings.

FWIW,
I prefer electric digital gauge tapped at fuel filter inlet port to monitor lp pressure. I have a temporary mech gauge to check psi at fuel filter outlet port.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:31 AM

Found some good info on what the fuel pressure spec should be with an in-tank fuel pump. Chrysler in-tank specs are for a minimum flow of 430ml/10 seconds. according to Chrysler it is acceptable to see 0 PSI at full load as long as flow is adequate. I don't know how the hell your suppose to measure flow. I guess you could run it into a bucket and use a stop watch. When we measure flow at the dealership I work at we have flow meters they are very large and cumbersome never seen a flow gauge. That still doesn't make me happy I want to be able to read fuel pressure on a gauge and I have a big problem when a fuel pressure gauge reads zero and they say thats normal.

Anyway draw straw is ordered, picked up an after market lift pump made by Alliant Power (Recommended by the fuel injection shop) Wish it was in the budget to get something better but not right now. Going to order the gauge pillar mount and gauges so I can avoid problems like this in the future. Thanks for everyones help.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:28 AM

Anyway draw straw is ordered, picked up an after market lift pump made by Alliant Power (Recommended by the fuel injection shop) Wish it was in the budget to get something better but not right now. Going to order the gauge pillar mount and gauges so I can avoid problems like this in the future. Thanks for everyones help.
I saw that Alliant Power lp, it's still a rotary vane style pump just like the OEM. Not very reliable.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:44 AM

Whats the liberty sender mod? Searched but no help.
Jed
Old 06-24-2010, 11:57 AM

its a replacement fuel module with a drawstraw already installed:

http://www.vulcanperformance.com/Dra...w-p/jlfmds.htm
Old 06-24-2010, 12:00 PM

Found some good info on what the fuel pressure spec should be with an in-tank fuel pump. Chrysler in-tank specs are for a minimum flow of 430ml/10 seconds. according to Chrysler it is acceptable to see 0 PSI at full load as long as flow is adequate. I don't know how the hell your suppose to measure flow. I guess you could run it into a bucket and use a stop watch. When we measure flow at the dealership I work at we have flow meters they are very large and cumbersome never seen a flow gauge. That still doesn't make me happy I want to be able to read fuel pressure on a gauge and I have a big problem when a fuel pressure gauge reads zero and they say thats normal.

DC came up wth the Volume test so they could get out of replacing so many lift pumps

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2003/14-002-03.htm

BTW, its kind of tough to put a fp guage in the pillar but it depends on what line you use I guess.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:35 PM
Banned

I'm running AirDog with gauges on the A pillar. VP still took a dump. FWIW, VP was reman in Chech Republic & installed by the PO. I replaced it with a MWFI for ~ $960. Fuel pressure is 15 @ start up & no lower than 13# under load. I wouldn't dare drive without the gauge and am considering adding a light in addition to the gauge. I'd install the light in the A pillar next to the gauge to get my attention & then be able to immediately see the gauge.

I've read where biodiesel is one of the best lubricity enhancers and am going to target at least 3% bio based on the attached. This truck has the 3rd VP installed at 150,000 mi. Hopefully with all the care it will go another 150. If it dumps, I'm done with Dodge.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf (133.6 KB, 269 views)
Old 06-24-2010, 10:06 PM

My digital gauge flashes when below 7 psi.
A chech vp which I think are all black are not worth a crap.

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure??????