24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Electric Fuel Pressure guage (HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Electric Fuel Pressure guage (HELP)

OK,
I'm gonna do it... I've put it off way too long... but I don't understand something.... WHY do sending units HAVE to be mounted verticaly?
can it be mounted in a more vertical than horizontal.... or does it need to be mounted pretty much vertical?

Geno's suggests an 18" greasegun whip to allow the sending unit to be mounted in a vertical plane.... Where are you guys mounting the sending unit that its NOT on the VP44 BUT still semi-vertical, and within 18 inches???

Thanks,
-Tim
Old 04-15-2008, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm using one of Geno's billet fuel filter canister lid that has a NPT in the top and I just screwed the sending unit straight into it.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a sender for the Quadzilla Commander and it's originally mounted on the VP44 schraeder valve hole which is about a 45 degree angle down. I have it mounted off the lower end of the fuel filter now and can't seem to get a good reading from it. It jumps around like it doesn't have a good ground or something even though I have checked and rechecked the ground (and added an additional ground strap). The Quadzilla manual doesn't say anything about the sender being vertical, but maybe that's my problem. What type of sender are you running, what's the model?...
Old 04-15-2008, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by sheriffav8r
I've got a sender for the Quadzilla Commander and it's originally mounted on the VP44 schraeder valve hole which is about a 45 degree angle down. I have it mounted off the lower end of the fuel filter now and can't seem to get a good reading from it. It jumps around like it doesn't have a good ground or something even though I have checked and rechecked the ground (and added an additional ground strap). The Quadzilla manual doesn't say anything about the sender being vertical, but maybe that's my problem. What type of sender are you running, what's the model?...
Just looking right now, haven't made a purchase yet, will probaly be a westach from Geno's..... and thats where I read about the vertical plane... it's on their instruction guide that they send out with the guage.
-Tim
Old 04-16-2008, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by sheriffav8r
try a needle valve....i had the same issues as you with my quad sending unit...i told them about it, thought it was a faulty sending unit, they didnt hesitate in sending me another...but before i put it on i thought i would do some testing in various locations and with and without the needle valve. both the the new and old. what i found is that with the needle valve the old sending unit gave ROCK SOLID readings and it didnt matter where it was located...i didnt test on the BOTTOM of the fuel filter but i did on the IP, and top of the filter housing....the new one with and without the needle valve gave a good reading of 20psi idle and the old one with the needle valve gave a rock solid reading of 20psi.....

i think that it has to do with the rattling and plusing of the IP...the needle valve smooths this out and allows the sending unit to give an accurate reading....and NOW that i know that if this one DOES go bad i have a BRAND NEW ONE in the garage....so i just take the old one off the needle valve and swap it out....

NCA
Old 04-16-2008, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it possible to use a brass needle valve from HD or Lowe's?
Old 04-16-2008, 06:23 PM

Electric Fuel Pressure guage

I been thinking of buying one as well, which one did you buy?

I was going to buy the Fuel Filter cap from Genos and put the sending unit in the top also, but not sure which gauge to go with and what pressure range?
Old 04-16-2008, 07:40 PM

i do not think the cap measures the filtered fuel i have always used the taped banjo bolt on the bottom of the filter or on the pump i use a 18" grease gun hose and make my own snubber but you can run a search and several places have them i mounted the quad fuel sensor on the cp3 direct to the banjo bolt just like the instructions showed and then i started reading all of the failures in the electric units and the next day i added the hose and snubber just like i would do the mechanical the pulsing of two pumps and motor vibration has got to be a killer on them
Old 04-17-2008, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Knuckle Head
Electric Fuel Pressure guage

I been thinking of buying one as well, which one did you buy?

I was going to buy the Fuel Filter cap from Genos and put the sending unit in the top also, but not sure which gauge to go with and what pressure range?
I'm going to go with the westach from Geno's, 0-15psi, my truck is stock and I don't plan on anything much more than stock. I just want to know my VP44 is getting it's fuel.

As far as point of attachment.... I don't know about geno's fuel filter cap either, but I do know that if you check pressure at the VP44.... your getting a reading as close to the component most likely to fail as possible.... which again to me is a good thing.

I might change my mind on the 0-15psi guage and go up to the 30psi guage after more comments though...

OH YEAH.... 30 PSI it will be...where was my brain when I needed it?
-Tim

Last edited by imbodie; 04-17-2008 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Proof that knowledge is power and 30 psi is perfect
Old 04-17-2008, 01:58 PM

I just installed an autometer digital fuel pressure gauge 0-30 psi, and it works great, I mounted mine about 6 inches before the vp on a mr. gasket barbed fitting with the tapped hole, and it works fine. Also it is mounted on an angle, and i get a consistent reading. I also have different fuel lines because I am running a FASS.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:13 PM

I have a Westac sender/gauge and don't remember anything about mounting vert. in the instructions. I have mine mounted horz. and it seems to work fine. Make sure they send biodiesel compatable hose.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:29 PM

I think most people go mechanical, less problems, more accurate. No sending unit.