24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

dead pedal and warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 12:43 AM
Ian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dead pedal and warning lights

So my truck's been dead pedaling quite frequently since taking it on a long haul with no load. Fuel guage reads fine, 15psi+ at idle, about 6-9 at WOT, but I've been getting a dead pedal at least once a day for a few days now. The truck died once, but I wasn't driving it, so I don't know the details. Also having problems starting every once in a while.

Also, brake and ABS lights are on after I shorted a wire when I was jumping my power windows to the heated seat fuse in the fuse box. Any ideas how to get rid of those lights?

Thanks a bunch,
Ian
Old 08-29-2005, 07:26 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try the APPS reset: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...n&onlynewfaq=1

Unless you melted a wire or still have a short, the battery disconnect may get rid of the lights.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:45 AM
Ian

i've tried both the apps reset and disconnecting the batt. sorry, should have said that in my first post. i'm really puzzled by this...
Old 08-29-2005, 08:08 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How's the speedo? The lights are sometimes caused the the speed sensor on the rear axle.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:30 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Are there any codes in the PCM for both the brake warning lights or dead pedal?......hate to say it but the dead pedal usually means the VP44 is getting ready to pack it in.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:00 AM

Unhappy

Yes.......your symptoms are nearly identical to what mine has been doing. New VP44 going in on wednesday. My mech could not get any codes to come up. Just frequent deadpedal, and hard starts after warmed up, also an intermittent miss at idle.

Hoping it's just a case of a little bad luck. I've had to pour a lot of money into this truck since purchasing it about 6 weeks ago.

(Blower Relay, Axle seals, Lift pump, Injector pump, Headliner, window switch, vulcan big line kit)

Put my first load to the truck this past weekend......and low and be hold it **** near overheated on me........213 deg. (Wasnt even a very substantial load.........)

I'm not real impressed with my Dodge / Cummins at this point. Hoping things will change soon.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by CTD NUT
Are there any codes in the PCM for both the brake warning lights or dead pedal?......hate to say it but the dead pedal usually means the VP44 is getting ready to pack it in.
Yes, but it doesn't ALWAYS mean the VP is dying.

I had a VP replaced at just 40K miles with NO WIRE TAP. PERFECT FUEL PRESSURE. I got the 0216 code and all that, and was getting dead pedal episodes in addition to misfires over 2K rpm.

The new pump fixed everything and runs great, but I *STILL* get periodic brief episodes of dead pedal.

Oddly enough, when I swapped in the MAD ECM, the dead pedal went away. Weirder still, swapping my OEM ECM back in hasn't made the dead pedal return.

So that dead pedal ALONE doesn't mean your VP is dying. But when combined with anything else like hard starts, misfires, etc-- you can almost guarantee that your VP is dead or dying.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:51 PM
Ian

thats great info guys. I've noticed that if I turn my untapped comp off, I don't get it. Could be coincidence, but it was an interesting observation leading me to be suspicious of my map sensor connection. I'm hoping that its just my lift pump. The only codes that I have right now are the 1693 companion code. I took the negative connections at the battery off when I did my apps reset and that got rid of a 1687 (don't quote me on that one, I can't remember exactly what it was). This is starting to get frustrating, along with everything else thats wrong with the dodge...oh well its worth it