1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

won't start after new pump installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 08:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
won't start after new pump installed

A friend of mine just installed new injectors and IP into his '92 D250. Now it won't start. Checked normal stuff like wire to the shut off selonoid and there is lots of fuel getting to the injectors as they cracked the lines to bleed them but it still won't start. I'm guessing they installed the pump out of time.

So if they pull the pump back out, reset the engine to TDC using the timing pin, is there anyway to set the pump back to TDC or does it need to go back to the shop for this? Can correct pump timing be checked while its still installed?

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2006, 09:25 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you got the pump installed 180 out. Meaning the pulses are happening at TDC between exhaust and intake.

If you got the pump "timed" that way mechanically then I guess it's possible to do gear-wise but I thought there was only one keyway in the gear for the IP so you shouldn't have been able to do that unless you replaced gears or moved them around.

Assuming that you DID mess with the gears and you don't want to mess up the mechanical timing of the pump, then just scribe marks on the flange of the pump where it bolts to the timing case. Then you can correct the gear problem and get the pump back in the proper position.

This happens on cars all the time when the distributer is pulled because the gear is on the dist and can be installed 180 out very easily. I think it takes real work to mess it up on a Cummins.

Edwin
Old 06-18-2006, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its alittle hard to get the timing that far off unless he jump a tooth or two on the pump drive gear, because the pump is keyed to the gear and the pump body is rotated to time it.

Does it smoke at all when he cranks it? You can time it on the engine using the plunger lift method if you have the tool and dial indicator by going through the center of the pump head.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:56 PM

DUH! I forgot that the gear stays in when you remove pump and that the shaft is keyed. Thanks for giving my head a shake.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont think it is timing. He has the throttle shaft indexed wrong. When they rebuilt the pump they didnt put it back to the second mark.

You want it at the second mark. Once you take the allen head nut off and a couple of other pieces you will see what I am talking about. there is a slot on the top of the shaft and you have to line it up with the second mark.

Stomp
Old 06-20-2006, 10:46 PM

How would this prevent it from starting? Would it be like having the idle set too low? Would simply holding the throttle open(as a test) then allow the engine to start?

Soory but I'M T/S this from a distance and the old fellow I'm helping doesn't do computers.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:31 AM

Yes hol,ding the throttle down should allow it to start as long as it isn't set too low
Old 06-21-2006, 09:03 AM

Yes tell him to start cranking the engine over and start pushing down on the throttle. It might catch, but it wont keep running. If it does catch at a certain point thats what the problem is. The throttle is indexed wrong. When they calibrate them on a pump stand they index it different than what it needs to be on the motor. Its a simple fix if this is the problem. I would have him check it anyways. He might not be able to tell if he is trying to start it by cranking and pushing on the throttle.

Stomp
Old 08-20-2006, 11:29 PM

I had py mump 180 out. Pulled pump without puttin engine TDC and re assembled at TDC. Took me a while to get it runnin.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:36 AM

How did you do that? The shaft has a keyway where is goes into the gear, only goes one way.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:18 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
The crank shaft rotates at twice the speed of the pump.........4 stroke engine.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:08 PM

I replaced my pump and my truck started but ran bad and had no power, then it decided not to start. If I remember right the shaft on the pump is tapered and has a woodrif key in it. (looks like a half moon) Somehow I sheared the key when I put it on even though I was careful. When I took it off and replaced the key it ran fine when put back together right. May not be your problem but may help someone.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Boatnik
The crank shaft rotates at twice the speed of the pump.........4 stroke engine.

The gear stays in the timing cover when the pump is removed and only has one groove for teh woodrif key. The only way to assemble it wrong is to shear or loose the key as gcliburn stated.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by cLAYH
The gear stays in the timing cover when the pump is removed and only has one groove for teh woodrif key. The only way to assemble it wrong is to shear or loose the key as gcliburn stated.

Did your friend ever get his truck running?
Old 09-03-2006, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by cLAYH
I had to take my pump out, turn it one full turn, put it back in, to get it workin.