1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Who's going for the Record??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 03:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RonA
I'm betting there will be a better number after May Madness.
Sounds like Stomp has something in the works?
Old 03-09-2010, 04:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup, new engine. I believe he and Brad Ponci are putting their heads together...Brad was the one that helped Stomp hit the original 680 number if I remember right.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JQmile
What about you bill? Got another hundred horses up your sleeve?
I doubt it. The truck is sitting in the yard with no clutch or transmission in it. I've rebuilt the Getrag but no funds for a clutch. I might have it ready for the Scheid show in the fall. I think another 50hp might be in the tuning but I won't be adding anything significant besides tuning.

I wish it was together and ready to rock the rollers, I'd love to trailer it out to May Madness and meet Stomp. Then we could see what a fresh built west coast motor does against a 500k mile beater midwest motor.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I always bet on the leaky motor, they run the best LOL
Old 03-09-2010, 09:15 PM

I'm betting there will be a better number after May Madness.
They running a dyno this year?
Old 03-12-2010, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by bgilbert
I doubt it. The truck is sitting in the yard with no clutch or transmission in it. I've rebuilt the Getrag but no funds for a clutch. I might have it ready for the Scheid show in the fall. I think another 50hp might be in the tuning but I won't be adding anything significant besides tuning.

I wish it was together and ready to rock the rollers, I'd love to trailer it out to May Madness and meet Stomp. Then we could see what a fresh built west coast motor does against a 500k mile beater midwest motor.
Considering his old motor made 120hp more than yours, I'm guessing you'd best leave yours at home. I'd be willing to guess the new number will start with a 7. Jeremys motor was pretty low tech before.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Best Paint (Getrag category)

I have a feeling this year is going to be very interesting in the VE world.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:10 PM

Considering his old motor made 120hp more than yours, I'm guessing you'd best leave yours at home. I'd be willing to guess the new number will start with a 7. Jeremys motor was pretty low tech before.
Yeah Bill, I'd be so embarrassed to have 556 rwhp on a VE with a stock head, cam, and intercooler.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:33 PM

Not trying to start a fight but, looking to clarify.
Jeremy's "120" more was with water/meth.
I also believe his numbers for fuel only and water/meth were corrected numbers. IF this is true, how much correction?

I'm sure Bills engine is "lower tech" yet.

The last time I was at May Madness they used a 10% correction factor. It will be even easier to break 700.
A 650 rear wheel hp truck would show 715 hp based on this calculation.

With this being said, I know Jeremys old setup would still beat Bills current setup.

I would assume if there was a correction factor being used on Jeremys old numbers it probably would not have been that much; therefore would still beat Bills numbers handily.

Note to Bill: If you want to talk smack, you need to do more work/tuning.

SO..............they are having a dyno this year?
I thought as of last year they quit due to financial reasons?

A question for RonA. Have you run the truck at the track since your 880+ hp run? You obviously are looking for 10s eh?
Old 03-13-2010, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by GLHS
Not trying to start a fight but, looking to clarify.
Jeremy's "120" more was with water/meth.
I also believe his numbers for fuel only and water/meth were corrected numbers. IF this is true, how much correction?

I'm sure Bills engine is "lower tech" yet.

The last time I was at May Madness they used a 10% correction factor. It will be even easier to break 700.
A 650 rear wheel hp truck would show 715 hp based on this calculation.

With this being said, I know Jeremys old setup would still beat Bills current setup.

I would assume if there was a correction factor being used on Jeremys old numbers it probably would not have been that much; therefore would still beat Bills numbers handily.

Note to Bill: If you want to talk smack, you need to do more work/tuning.

SO..............they are having a dyno this year?
I thought as of last year they quit due to financial reasons?

A question for RonA. Have you run the truck at the track since your 880+ hp run? You obviously are looking for 10s eh?
X2 Tuning and track time are a must
Old 03-13-2010, 07:33 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey, come check out the VA Chapter 7 forum. Dunbar is coming in August and I don't want to be the only First Gen there........again.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:34 AM

Another First

Well maybe these pictures will prove that at some point I did make some decent HP. Now I know why I lost 163hp on #2. The cam moved so much it knocked the back plug out which is where my oil leak has been coming from. I guess this is another first for the first gen crowd because this usually happens to the p-pump guys. My new cam has been drilled and tapped for a retainer.

For those of you that are putting up some good numbers you might just want to check your cam. I was very close to loosing my motor. The cam gear was out .440 and a couple of the retainer bolts were loose.

Here are a couple of pics of my new tow vehicle.

My dyno sheets are uncorrected.

Stomp

Bill you wouldn’t want to go toe to toe with me you couldn’t afford it.
Attached Thumbnails Who's going for the Record??-cam-gear-out-.440.jpg   Who's going for the Record??-back-side-cam-gear-out-.440.jpg   Who's going for the Record??-front-cover-cam-gear-wear-marks.jpg   Who's going for the Record??-06-tow-vehicle.jpg   Who's going for the Record??-mega-cab-interior.jpg  

Last edited by Stomp; 03-14-2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 03-14-2010, 11:59 AM

Looks like your motor almost became a horizontal boring mill. Glad you guys caught it before it wiped out everything.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stomp...that is impressive. Ill have to check mine when I get the chance. Im looking forward to seeing what kinda numbers your old gal can lay down with a fresh engine. It would be sweet to crack in to the low 7's if not the mid to high 7's.

Last edited by JAyers; 03-14-2010 at 04:14 PM. Reason: specification
Old 03-14-2010, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JAyers, you should be knocking on mid to high 6's now, no?

Quick Reply: Who's going for the Record??