1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

A whole bunch of questions!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A whole bunch of questions!

I currently drive a 1997 V8 Ram 1500 regular cab 2WD with a custom aluminum diamond-plate flatbed (which I built) fitted with a Venturo 2000 LB capacity hydraulic crane.

I'm looking to sell that truck and get another one because
  • I want more load capacity
  • I want more towing capacity
  • I want a 4X4
  • and I want a diesel

At this point I'm focused on a first generation Ram because I actually like the body style more than the second generation and also I think I can get a first gen a bit cheaper than a second.

I also want an extended cab because the regular cab first gen I test drove a while back seemed way too cramped. I'm a big guy. I'm assuming that the seats can be pushed back further in the extended cab models.... is that correct?

I guess that the most significant question I have is regarding the differences between the 250 and 350 models. I want as much load and towing capacity as I can get, but I really don't want a dually. Living in a dense city, a dually is a pain.

A friend of mine (who drives a '97 Cummins 4X4 2500) tells me that there is no difference in the frame or the suspension between the 3/4 ton and the 1 ton models. He believes that the rear ends are Dana 70 and Dana 80, respectively, but that the overall width dimensions on these two rear ends are the same, so that a 1 ton truck could be fitted with single rear wheels. He claims that besides the Dana 70 / Dana 80 issue, the only other difference is that the dual rear tires on a 1 ton give more stability. Is all this correct?

If all that is true, then a 1 ton with sufficiently heavy-duty rear wheels and tires would give me max load and towing capacities with the narrower profile of a 3/4 ton.

By the way, my intention is to build another aluminum flatbed for this new diesel and then also fit it with a folding knuckle-boom crane. I'll either have to find a crane which is compact enough for a truck this size or just build one, which might be better 'cuz it will be perfect for the truck. I'm sure I'll have some suspension upgrade questions when that time comes!

Thanks a lot!
CR
Old 06-28-2005, 05:48 PM

One more thing I forgot to ask in the first post....

Automatic or manual transmission?

I've got auto in my gasoline 1500, never had a problem.
My friend says no way to an auto trans on a Cummins.

Any ideas?

Thanks again,
CR
Old 06-28-2005, 08:54 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
There is such a thing as a single rear wheel 1-ton 1st gen. They are hard to find, but they are out there.

The only real difference between the SRW 1 ton and the 3/4 ton is the rear spring packs. 1 ton trucks use overload springs, the 3/4 tons just have a straight spring pack. The rear axles are all Dana 70's. Your plan of beefing up the suspension and using tires that will handle the weight is sound.

I'm 6' 2" and my seat is not all the way back.

If you leave the engine pretty much stock, or if you don't tow heavy stuff with a modified engine then either transmission will be fine. Neither trans takes kindly to lots of extra power combined with heavy loads. The 1st gen automatics seem to hold up pretty well if kept cool and not abused.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:54 PM

Hey Wannadiesel my truck was special ordered to haul camper by "PO" it seems to have factory overloads, underbox cooler etc was this srw 1ton a special option were the srw 1 tons badged 1 ton or 250,s with pkg how to you tell . Robox my truck has the factory hyd tip captians and I have way more leg room the my 2nd gen I'm 6'4" , happy hunting
Old 06-29-2005, 04:23 AM

Thanks for the info, fellas.

So, wannadiesel, does it also hold true that I could put single rear wheels onto a dually 1 ton? There won't be any problems with the dimensions of the Dana 70? What about the front end?

Thanks,
CR
Old 06-29-2005, 08:06 AM

If you really just want a SRW just get one that already is, you'll have a pretty big job converting the front end to use the regular wheels. If your just using a SRW the limiting factor as to how much load you can carry is going to be your tires, not the suspension or the frame. If you sag too much with just the springs get some airbags.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:17 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
FWIW, I think the SRW one tons were stopped when they changed the grill (for the aftercooler)? Regardless, springs can be changed/beefed up pretty easily and the frames are the same, but as was just said, your big problem is going to be the tires. 235/85 16's are only good for a 6000lb axle, and the stock weels are rated at 3045 lbs each . . . so new wheels and tires would be needed if you wanted to go over 10k GVW.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:45 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally posted by robox
Thanks for the info, fellas.

So, wannadiesel, does it also hold true that I could put single rear wheels onto a dually 1 ton? There won't be any problems with the dimensions of the Dana 70? What about the front end?

Thanks,
CR
Just get a 3/4 ton and beef up the suspension to hold the weight. The axles are the same, the weight rating difference is in the tires. Get tires that will handle the weight, 19.5's would be a good fit for what you want to do. They will hold up to the weight and wear like iron.

Along with the suspension upgrades, put the 1 ton brake shoes on, and add the 1 ton or the Chevy wheel cylinders for better braking.

FF/Alec- I have only seen two SRW 1 tons - an '89 in a junkyard and our fellow DTR member Thumbs has one. His is a '92 W350 that he bought new. I looked all over on his to see if there was anything special about it compared to a 3/4 ton, the only thing I could find was the overload leafs in the rear.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:00 PM

Interestingly there are two SRW W350s in the classifieds over at turbodieselregistry.com right now. I'm interested in both. If anyone has the inclination to go look at the ads and offer an opinion, I'd be much obliged.

The big question I still have at this point is the regular cab vs. extended cab question. Wannadiesel, you said you've got plenty of room, but you've got the extendeed cab. When I test drove a regular cab D350 awhile ago, the overall impression I had was of being cramped, especially compared to the 2nd gen I drive now.

I'm going to try to test drive an extended cab 1st gen locally to see if it makes that big of a difference.

As usual, input from other members appreciated!

Thanks
CR
Old 06-29-2005, 04:11 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Hard to say from the ads. I think you'll be happy with an extended cab. If the sticker on the door post is important to you, hold out for an SRW 1 ton. If not, just beef up a 3/4 ton.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:21 PM

The way it sounds the only difference between 1-ton and 3/4 ton are the rear spring packs/overload springs, and the rear brakes. The brakes are easily upgraded though.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:03 PM

Well I just got back from test-driving a cummins W250 extended cab. Knew I didn't really want to buy it because I'm really looking for the 4X4. Mostly just wanted to sit in the larger cab and see if it made a difference.

It did.

Now I know what I'm looking for.

Thanks again for the help, guys.

CR
Old 06-29-2005, 08:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
just for clarification, W means 4x4. D means 2x4. Glad you know what cab you want now. All you gotta do is find one!
g
Old 06-29-2005, 08:21 PM

Oops, right , duh. I actually knew that.

Yeah, finding one is gonna be the hard part.

CR