1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What quirks do you do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What quirks do you do?

Since this truck i now own is the nicest vehicle i have ever owned i am very maticulas about it.

-i always let it run for about 2min in N before i go anywhere with it.
- i hardly start it unless im going to drive it somewhere.
- i always let teh pyro get to 300 before shut down(after a long haul pulling i will let it sit at 300 for 5-8 min for extra cool down)
- putting in power service white bottle fuel additive with ever fill up

what do you do with your truck to prolong its fun drivablity?

how amny of you daily drive your trucks?

i do not, usually 1-2 times a week just to run it to work and back which is 11 miles one way trip.

usually drive my lil beater comuter vehicle.

should i drive it more?

still learning everyday. a big thanks to everyone on here and the info provided and hosted.

jiMMy
Old 07-06-2004, 09:47 PM

Id drive it more, but then again, I couldnt imagine NOT driving my truck every day.. I like it too much.
Scott
Old 07-06-2004, 10:08 PM

I always start mine 10 minutes before i go anywhere. unless im headed to a fire, then i catch meself not even waiting for the start light to go out.

I always back it into the driveway so i can get out quicker.

I alwasy put it into nuetral when i stop adn then go to first when im ready to move again.

I always downshift when i know im going to be stopping.
(by the way that is an automatic transmission)

I got my an extra key made so i can leave it running and just lock the doors when im gogin to be out of the vehicle but near bye.

I always turn the truck off at the drivethru so they can hear me.

I always plug it up if the temp gets below 40.

I never run the air conditioner unless i have to. liek in the rain

And I always wait atleast 2 minutes before i turn it off after any travel.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:10 PM
Chapter President

I walk out in the morning...

Take a really long look at my beast...

Then I give a big hug!!!!

6 months old on the fourth, had a big celebration, lots of beer and fireworks. Oh, wait that was our Country's birthday, sorry.....

I LOVE THIS TRUCK!!!!!
Old 07-06-2004, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by racermatt2606

is it ok to do teh oposite with an auto? when i tow i usually upshift manually to let it run up the rpms a little more before shifting..

never down shifted the auto before unless i am coming down a grade with a load. is that ok for them as well?

jiMMy
Old 07-06-2004, 11:52 PM

Start it in neutral (auto) to get the tranny juices flowing - the A518 doesn't circulate fluid in park (the TFOD-Diesel and most other shift "kits" correct this, but it's still a habit for me).

Let the engine warm up before getting on the throttle very hard - usually only takes a mile or two around here. Heck, during the summer it'll register on the temp gauge even after sitting all day.

Let the pyro drop to 300* before shutting down. The neighbors are probably glad I didn't straight-pipe the truck - I normally get home after midnight.

Avoid driving it on short trips - I use the Jeep if just going to the store. The truck is my daily driver, though (21 miles to work, each way - it gets better fuel mileage than the Jeep, and rowing through the gears gets old in the 33+ traffic lights...not to mention the fun quirks of the Detroit in a lifted TJ).

Use Power Service additive 90% of the time.

Change the oil every 3000 miles, trans fluid/filter every 12k miles, differential fluid yearly, regardless of the factory "recommended" intervals. Change the fuel filter every second or third oil change.

I use the AC 90% of the time...it's just too friggin' hot not to.

Jimmy - You can downshift an auto, but as you've probably noticed there is very little engine braking without an exhaust brake...and that wouldn't be very effective without a lockup converter. Well, it might be effective at creating lots of heat in the transmission, but not at slowing the truck down much.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by racermatt2606

I always back it into the driveway so i can get out quicker.

I always turn the truck off at the drivethru so they can hear me.

I always plug it up if the temp gets below 40.

I'm the same way on all these except I no longer downshift. I've already replaced the ring gear. 1st gen's are prone to disinigrate ring gears (flex plates) and downshifting is a major load to the plate.
It's the sudden jerk on the flex plate in the reversed direction that stresses the plate.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:26 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: What quirks do you do?

Originally posted by jiMMyCTD
usually drive my lil beater comuter vehicle.
Mine is my "lil beater commuter vehicle". I think you do fine. You don't need to drive it more, but if you want to... It's more important that you drive it far enough to warm it up than how often you drive it.

Quirks:

I have a shutdown timer. I use the long setting to run into stores without shutting off the truck. I use the A/C when it gets over 90, otherwise the windows are open so I can hear 'er better. I even open the rear slider in the winter!
Stanadyne PF every fillup, and I check my mileage. I never used to be this ****. I'm a 40 degree plugger inner, too. I don't let it idle cold, I just drive gently until it warms up. And I'm thinking of getting an oil pan heater I double clutch on downshifts.

Am I certifiable?
Old 07-08-2004, 11:42 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jimmy,
I drive mine daily and use it to haul almost every weekend. In the 22 days I have owned the truck now, I have put a little over 2000 miles on it, mostly pulling a 28 foot goose-neck and 3-4 high quality Quarter Horses
I let it warm up just long enough to show oil pressure, so the turbo bearings arent dry.
I avoid idling for any extended period to reduce the excess fuel from watering down the oil.
I havent gotten a pyro installed yet, so I let it cool till the temp gauge needle is in the lowest area of teh gauge, ussually takes just a minute or so after getting off the highway...
Havent doen the oil chance yet, will do it at 3k and anally therafter at every 3k
Havent used the plug-in yet, and wont unless I absolutly have to... last deisel I had( POS FORD 6.9 non-turbo) starting leaking like a seive from the heater plug every time I used it.
AC needs recharged, so havent been using it, but will as soon as I get it working...
I am new to thes 1st Gen's and deisels myself, so hopefully I aint doin nuttin to hurt it, LOVE MY TRUCK
Old 07-09-2004, 02:49 PM

What a bunch of freaks! You guys are all nuts!
And I love each and every one of you!
And I thought I was the only weird one who loved
their 1st Gen!
I've owned her for a year and a month and I fall in love
with her each and every day.
By the way, I drive her daily to work wherever that may be since
I'm a contractor and really am not at the same place for
too long. It is stock, but all the gauges and exhaust and other
upgrades are in the making right now!
Old 07-09-2004, 11:39 PM

"CLICK"

OK! I admit it. I think my biggest quirk.
I gotta take pictures of mine and LOTS OF EM!
"CLICK"
Here I go again!

More of you should try. It's fun!

I see alot of profiles don't have them in their gallery.